Thread: Drift region

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is a good map! I especially like your rivers: very authentic and believable. They add a lot of life to your map!

I agree with both RobA and landorl: the tool doesn't matter to a great extent, and you are proving your ability by using such a simple program as Paint to such a wonderfully high degree. BUT, when I look at these I think to myself: just thank if this artist was using a program with more power, like GIMP!! What heights he could achieve! You are trying to get to work on a tricycle vs. a car right now, I think. For example, you asked about political maps vs. geographical: with the layers in GIMP you could use the same map to do both. And the "digital" effect you are finding an issue would easily be removed in GIMP. I say definitely get GIMP--it's free, we have great tutorials here on it, and I think you will ultimately love using it!

Your fonts are fine, I think, or perhaps a bit too plain. I understand what you mean about readability, but I would go just an inch further than Arial. (And here's a thread that gives suggestions & examples of fonts.)

You're doing great, and I can't wait to see this updated!!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I have to ask (and dread the answer )... are you using a tablet or just a mouse?
    -Rob A>
    A mouse. I don't have any experience using a tablet. Are they very useful?

Thanks for all the friendly advice and criticism. I'm actually surprised to get a positive welcome here at cartographersguild. I'll install GIMP on my wife's computer and go from there (it's newer and has a bigger monitor... mine is only 14").

I HIGHLY reccomend a tablet, Avulsion. After about 6 months of using a mouse for maps I bought the cheapest Wacom on the market (about $75) and I have never for one second regretted the decision (and I'm a mere hobbyist here, so it's a luxury to me). Your mapmapking and your enjoyment of mapmaking will shoot through the roof--no exaggeration!

I'm glad you got a good reception here at the Guild. This is the only forum in which I am truly an active member, and when I join others I realize what you are basically saying: we are a friendly, helpful, welcoming community. (I think you are a perfect addition, by the way! So keep that up too
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by Avulsion View Post
    A mouse. I don't have any experience using a tablet. Are they very useful?
    Holy moly! It didn't even occur to me to wonder if you were using a tablet--I didn't think someone could get that kind of result in Paint without one.

Thanks for all the friendly advice and criticism. I'm actually surprised to get a positive welcome here at cartographersguild.
    Yes, it's a very positive community, yet it's not a mutual admiration society. I hope we can continue to keep the level of professionalism high as the user base grows.

Anyway, I am looking forward to your future projects!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name