Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *** June 2011 Challenge - Map a Battle ***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm thinking isometric views, ballistae in operation with stones in the air and hitting the castle walls, piles of dead bodies, blood running in the river, troops in movement, burning fires, maybe a dragon strafing in... more like a momentary slice of a battle in action, rather than just a map... that's what is percolating with me at the moment.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Now I'm tempted to do a medieval campaign type map... or even a maneuvering type-battle map. Then again, I'm in the busiest part of the teaching year and I've got a mountain of work... so this will probably take a back seat.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I'm thinking isometric views, ballistae in operation with stones in the air and hitting the castle walls, piles of dead bodies, blood running in the river, troops in movement, burning fires, maybe a dragon strafing in... more like a momentary slice of a battle in action, rather than just a map... that's what is percolating with me at the moment.
    Pictures are pretty, but this is a mapping challenge....

-Rob A>

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This one is giving me fits..I have the typical medieval "storm the castle" type of thing and then I have a Interworld idea running in my head that ties in with my lite challenge entry...I've got to try this though as this is something that I have no experience with..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

I've never entered a contest on here before, as I don't feel that my work is worthy of the luminaries we have here. However, this one piques my interest, so I might try. Tell me, what are the rules so far as artwork? Does it have to be entirely original or could I use tokens designed by someone else, added to an original backdrop, for example?
    John Grigsby
    Gaming Operations Director, CoastCon 37
    Member-at-Large, CoastCon 37

Currently using Dundjinni, Photoshop CS3, and MapTool
    Unless otherwise stated, any work I post here can be freely used and distributed provided credit is given to me as the originator. If you find it useful or make modifications, I'd love to hear about it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you are welcome to use tokens, textures etc. the important part is that its your map, so the work has to be original, the parts don't. Although some people, like myself, tend to give extra points for people who do it all themselves when deciding who to vote for
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

If you feel utterly daunted by the prospect there is the lite challenge which runs from mid month to mid month between the main challenge. Those with gold compasses cant enter a lite challenge. Getting low votes is part of the trying as you can see from my staggering collection of compasses.... not. But if a map of battle in particular is tickling your fancy then you should make the map yourself and not use an existing finished one or work in progress. You can use other peoples tokens and icons but you should specify what bits of your map are from external sources - and I guess you might get marked down if say 80% of your maps work is from other sources... but its not frowned upon to use styles, textures, icons and other bits and pieces so long as its not making up the principle main bit of your map. I.e if the challenge was to design some top down tokens then that might not be such a good idea.

We have had some Dundjinni maps in the past but we have surprisingly few of them in general compared to how many people use the app. Even if you used a lot of the DJ art from the forums I would still think that would be ok if the shape and layout of the map was original.

I am thinking of recreating a battle from a famous movie, but I shan't tip my hand as to what movie as of yet
    Something witty and pithy

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Midway?

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool, another challenge that really works for me as I can use the material with worlds I am building.

I missed the "map a nation" challenge because I just didn't have time.
    I missed the "map a planet" lite challenge because I just didn't have time.

I'll try not to make it a continuing trend this month. I even have an idea already!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast