Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Eriond: A World Map

You can also use a program like Hugin to convert a square image into an orthographic projection.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    That looks great, arsheesh!
    Could you tell me what program you used to create the globes?

Cheers,
    >Moe
    GIMP but it stretches it or something... that globe looks great! I only have cs3 so no globe for me unless i want it looking stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    That looks great, arsheesh!
    Could you tell me what program you used to create the globes?

Cheers,
    >Moe
    Actually, I did the globe effect entirely in GIMP:

Filter > Map > Map Object (under "Options" I selected "Transparent Background" and under the "Map to" drop down menu I selected "Sphere")

You can also play around with the orientation and lighting options to get the angle and lighting that you like. However, like Anannsul mentioned, if you are doing a full world map, the resulting image turns out stretched into an oval shape like so:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stretched Orb.png 
Views:	261 
Size:	539.1 KB 
ID:	37974

Now there might be an easier way to fix this, but what I did was simply scale the image, matching the width to the height. This gave me the global view shown on the last page.

As far as atmosphere is concerned, I haven't figured that out just yet. Who knows, I may tinker with it a bit.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Last edited by arsheesh; 08-22-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Really? I figured you would of used FT or something similar.

Nope. Don't own it. Though if I did, I probably would have used it. So far I've only used GIMP and Wilbur to make this map, though once I get to the labeling I'll probably bring Inkscape into the game.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Arsheesh has Wilbur fine-tuned to get great results. In fact I'm gonna read his stuff to do some similar work just for fun. That's the biggest praise I can ever think to give someone.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Question Would a Tutorial be Helpful?

Wow, that is high praise indeed!

So I guess on that note I have a question to ask. A few people over at Deviant Art and the Obsidian Portal (a campaign hosting site) have requested a tutorial for this style of map. I'm considering writing one up, but, I have a few reservations about doing so. First, my time is somewhat limited at the moment. I will be moving to New Zealand in four months to begin a PhD program, and right now my wife and I are busy with all the preparations that go into such a relocation. Second, this is a fairly difficult and time consuming style of mapping which would be difficult to explicate in a step by step walk through. This is now the fourth map I've made using Wilbur, and while things have gotten easier, I've had to tweak things in almost every map. So while I could attempt to write up a tutorial, I would imagine that it would still be really difficult for new-comers to follow along with. So, bearing these two reservations in mind, my question is, is there interest from people here in such a tutorial? If enough people seem interested I'll go ahead and commit to writing up a tutorial, otherwise not. You can either let me know in this thread or send me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I'm always interested in amazing work, I'm sure others would agree. To be honest I'm interested mostly in the wilbur end of it all. I'm sure with the reservations and time issues, I'd say reference to other tutorials saying follow these concepts up to the point of where your tutorial kicks in. Maybe even addressing some of the things you did to tweak the tutorials or things you did in brief statements, so its not a complete walk through but enough to get the idea of what you did... As I said, just suggestions! =D
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Hm, food for thought Yandor. On a different note, thanks to RobA for showing how to "Google" world map my world map, and to Ascension for pointing this out to me. I must say it's really fun to watch your own world spin around on Google maps!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eriond Googled.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	356.9 KB 
ID:	37984

Guild Novice

Wow, I didn't even know google had that option. o.o

As for gimp, I was also talking about the animation > spinning globe Even doing a map of earth africa ends up far above the equator... the top of the map ends up disappearing. I was fooling around with one of the many version of my own map and i basically had no polar caps. =\

As for the tutorial. I'd be interested.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast