Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Town Near a Quarry

Okay, first of all, it's hilarious you said that about the colors because when I first looked at the map and not your comments I said to myself, "Wow--those colors are awesome!" Hahahaha. I guess I just showed where my wagon's parked, didn't I. (and PS: watch whose color palette you "bleah," buddy! )

Del--that advice is golden. Have some rep.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

OK - think this in almost done Here are two variation, one with the colours punched up a bit, and the second with the inking set to overlay rather than multiply. What is the preference?

Thanks for the tips on digital inking. I might have to give it another go...

(Lesson learned 3....decide up front if you want to ink shadows, or colour them )

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quarry_town_ink2.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	2704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quarry_town_ink_overlay.png 
Views:	171 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	2705  

I agree with the Cartographist. I think if you gave the trees and grass an autumn look it would really pop nicely.

Other than that I think it's looking great.

Concerning the two that you just posted. Number one looks better in my eyes. The second one just seems to have to much glow to it. There are points where it looks better because of the glow, but as an overall piece applied to everything, it kinda takes away more then it gives.

So my vote for #1.
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

The red/orange color, adds the the diversity, yes, but it almost makes it look as if the trees have some sort of disease. >_<

lol all joking aside, if you can blend in a little more yellow/brown on the tress, it probably wont look like such a drastic difference. Right now it just looks a little to unnatural.
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

RobA - Of the three new variations (Left, Right, and Autumnal), I prefer the Left. While I did suggest some oranges and reds, after looking at 'Left', I don't think you need to go the Autumnal route.

I think that the additional colors that you used in 'Left' were what I had in mind. I really like the update and think that the map is done.

the 1st one looks the best imo, but the 2nd one looks ... the most real? I like some parts of it a lot more.

The autumn one is as kagehito said, disease ridden
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

I like the multiplied blend better. The vibrant colors suit this style better, I think.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast