Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Atlas Walkthrough [Fractal Terrains & Illustrator]

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

grrr...any chance of scoring a secret bug fix?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

There's always a chance. Contact me in a non-public manner for more information. The shading problem with JPEG files doesn't happen with BMP and PNG files, btw.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well thats good to know..I didn't even try that...but I do know the grid problem does happen with the other formats. You probably knew that too...Thanks for the help though!!!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Professional Artist

I took a screenshot of my layers palette from Illustrator to show my layer structure. It's still attached to the post.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Were you referring to just the picture or did you mean to attach a PSD file? It sounds like you are referring to an attached PSD, but there isn't one so I just wanted to make sure it didn't get dropped or something.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRob View Post
    I took a screenshot of my layers palette from Illustrator to show my layer structure. It's still attached to the post.
    So you were just referring to the picture. Cool.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

A word of warning: If you have a brush stroke applied to your map border, be sure to remove it from the copy that you make before you create the typemask (Step 8).
    Last edited by RobA; 12-15-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Disabled smilies
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hi I have all these programs, but my Version of FT seems to be missing Gaia View ( which I'm assuming you used) What version is it that has Gaia?

For the purposes of this tutorial, you don't need the Gaia shader in FT, but if you want to use it, go to Map > Show Gaia.

I'm using v2.3. I have no idea what features were and were not available in previous versions. I thought the Gaia shader was available in every version, but I may very well be mistaken.

Anyway, I believe that all of HR's terrain "textures" are simply patterns applied in Illustrator.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    For the purposes of this tutorial, you don't need the Gaia shader in FT, but if you want to use it, go to Map > Show Gaia.

I'm using v2.3. I have no idea what features were and were not available in previous versions. I thought the Gaia shader was available in every version, but I may very well be mistaken.

Anyway, I believe that all of HR's terrain "textures" are simply patterns applied in Illustrator.
    Right, my version of FT is like way old... dinosaur... no Gaia shader. The textures are not even patterns, just solid colors applied in illustrator and then treated in photoshop.
    Hey, check it out: I finally added a legend:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Legend.jpg 
Views:	396 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	9654  

Quote Originally Posted by HandsomeRob View Post
    and I've also finished drawing in the landcover polygons. It looks like the map is complete, but there are actually a few more steps to do before it is finished.

Start by changing the color mode to Duotone, and select a tritone of pure cyan, pure yellow, and pure magenta. This will make the relief a nice gold color which looks better than black when multiplied with the landcover.

Can you provide a closeup of the polygons pre spatter at 100% opacity?

Also, what are your tritone curves?

(In case you haven't notices, I'm trying to duplicate your style in gimp/inkscape and wilbur for this month's contest...)

-Rob A>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast