Thread: I am seriously bummed out

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well after a nights sleep I do feel a little better.

Normally I do what you guys do and save often but when I get really absorbed making art I tend to hyper-focus and time goes out the window. This was one of those sessions. It would be nice if there was an auto save feature where you could save to a temp file just in case. I wouldn't want it to save over my actual file. I can do that myself but an autosave file would be perfect. Not sure how that would function if you were in the middle of running a filter when it hit however.

RobA?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Well after a nights sleep I do feel a little better.

Normally I do what you guys do and save often but when I get really absorbed making art I tend to hyper-focus and time goes out the window. This was one of those sessions. It would be nice if there was an auto save feature where you could save to a temp file just in case. I wouldn't want it to save over my actual file. I can do that myself but an autosave file would be perfect. Not sure how that would function if you were in the middle of running a filter when it hit however.

RobA?
    I don't like "autosaves" because my files can get pretty big.

I wrote this script: http://registry.gimp.org/node/14246

It will save a backup copy of your active image as [imagename]-YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM.xcfgz in the same directory as your active image, so you need to have saved it once with a real filename.

It can be accessed quickly by Alt-F,B which is what I do every now and then...

I combine that with Alt-F,S to just save (overwrite) the file I'm working on with its real name.

If you have python there is this: http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-dev.../msg18118.html but I've never used it. You just "start" it:
    - start GIMP from a terminal (so the script's messages become visible)
    - toolbox: File->Activate Autosave (activate only once)

Every 30 minutes the script saves backups of all opened images to a temp folder.
    The backup files won't be deleted when GIMP exits, so some manual clean-up will
    be required from time to time.

-Rob A>

Jax, would it help when you resume, to consciously do this map differently? Since you can't put it back just like it was Before Carto Catastrophe, would it keep you from that jab-in-eyeball pain, if you dodge the echoes somewhat?

Add me to the list of eagerly awaiting whatever you come up with, btw.

I screw up so regularly I might as well name every map I start Ragnarok and just go with the flow.