Thread: My first local cartography job!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

beautiful maps GP, I especially like the last one, the overview of the area with the 10' increment... all well done and beautiful colors...

I'd voice a minor concern with the first one... if I knew what it was that was bugging me about that map... I can't really put a finger on it.. I'm not sure if its the altitude numbers that may be throwing me off but there is something... but its probably something that's really nothing... I can be a bit... nitpicky sometimes... a trait I find a bit annoying myself...

keep up the great work and maybe these will bring in more business... the gaming community is rather tight knit so word of mouth can sometimes be the best advertising. I do know a group of gamers there close to peoria... trying to think of the name of that town...it may be joliet... they game at least once a week and as far as I know use mini's .... If you want i'll throw your name out there and see if they may want something in the way of battlemaps...

Del

Wip Not quite done, but...

I mentioned above that I was working on a WW1 trench war battlefield for a dogfighting minatures game, well not quite finished, but the terrain is complete. I have add some tiny soldiers of German and Allied colors, some horses, carriages and cassons, no artillery (would be off map on either side), maybe a Model T ambulance, machine gun nests, a couple dead bodies, and a dead horse.

Oh the little round spots are supposed to be craters from artillery.

I've yet to add the grid and some cloud cover - after the ground is finished...

Note: at full scale the map is 36" x 48", 1 hex = 3" at 50'. This means a normal sized human is 1/10th of an inch in size. Barely of detail beyond helmet and body positions in appropriate color.

WIP so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trenchwar.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	441.6 KB 
ID:	2795  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-18-2008 at 03:21 AM. Reason: mention of craters
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Really nice GP, but one comment: If there are craters in the ground and artillery is implied (although not visible on the map), wouldn't there be some artillery damage to the walls at either side of the battlefield? Some gaps, knocked-over sections, etc? Maye some char as well?

I'd also suggest adding an overlayed bumpmap crater later like this one I doodled up using your source image as a guide (hand drawn white fuzzy blob with black fuzzy blob in middle, apply pixel spread filter, then displace map with a noise layer)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blast 1.png 
Views:	126 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	2799

Here is that turned into a bumpmap applied to a 50%grey base layer then set to overlay:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blast 2.png 
Views:	344 
Size:	368.5 KB 
ID:	2800

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Yes yes, and some blast marks like kicked up dirt.

Post Let me try this with GIMP...

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I'd also suggest adding an overlayed bumpmap crater later like this one I doodled up using your source image as a guide (hand drawn white fuzzy blob with black fuzzy blob in middle, apply pixel spread filter, then displace map with a noise layer)

-Rob A>
    OK, I just downloaded GIMP 2.4.5, as well as your GIMP tutorial and printed this page.

Hopefully, I can get these bump maps the way I want them. I will probably include some dirt clods around the crater rim to add some more texture to the craters, so they are less just circles, but rough circles with outlying piles.

Let's see what a day of experimenting can achieve.

Thanks for the tip, RobA (repped!)

Oh, and I took Cartographist's suggestion and placed some craters and damaged sand bags in both trenches, added a dead and bloody horse and one shelled carriage. Still more bodies live and dead to add...
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-19-2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: gaps in the trench
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Post Tried RobA's tip...

OK, I gave RobA's tip a try using GIMP. It worked, but somehow I made the crater edges to large or the depth isn't great enough. I like RobA's version better, but I just need a bit more practice. Unfortunately, I'm running out of time in completing this project.

Thanks again, RobA!

I found some photos of WW1 soldiers - both Allied and Central Powers, actually the best pictures were from WW1 reenactors sites. Tomorrow, I'll hand draw some British "Tommies" and "Germans" in several body positions - firing rifle, at machine gun nest, standing idly, sitting position, wounded on stretcher and dead on battlefield. Then place in both trench areas.

I added the grid and some cloud cover just to see if they worked.

WIP so far - almost done!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trench.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	2810  
    DrivethruRPG store

Really looking good, GP.

I'm a little surprised at the dimensions (in terms of number of horizontal and vertical hexes). It doesn't seem big enough to stage dogfights on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    OK, I gave RobA's tip a try using GIMP.
    Thanks again, RobA!
    No problem! But aren't you a photoshop guy? It should be just as trivial in photoshop, no?

-Rob A>