Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big about Guild maps

To create a poll, just start a new post and (near the bottom) use the check box for "post a poll with this thread" and specify the number of options. It shouldtake you into a poll builder after that...

-Rob A>

The voting time should be short. I agree with 2-3 days. More importantly we need to get all the options in reasonably quick time, before any voting can take place. We've got NK's 4 options. Redrobes, Su Liam and anyone else who wants to, can you get something up on this thread within 48 hrs. No detail, jsut basic geography, heightmap etc on a planetary scale.

Terrainmonkey, its most definately open to everyone. Thats the idea. Once we've polled the basic planetary layout it will be a very short time beofre we can all get going.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Blog Entries

Will do. Apologies but Wednesday night is my XBox night... I have a few maps already. Gimme a few hours and ill post a page with about 8 on there - all similar but with different shapes. I had to mod my little utility app to output in 16bit height map.

Blog Entries

Heres a page of thumbs to bigger pics.

I can do more if people want them or feel that there might be a better pattern than those shown. I could make the edges all sea for example if required. Just takes a few seconds to generate each of them.

The color is programmable - this is just to display the general shape. All of them have 16bit height maps for them which I can dish out in HF2 or as a pair of 8bit images. These are 2048 but I can go larger if required or better yet is to take a small section and boost the res of that area to another moderately large res version.

There is no scale but should be treated as large / planetary. The mountains shown are not single mountains but areas that are generally mountainous. If these maps are planetary and were talking earth sized planets then a really huge mountain is still a few pixels across. Earths widest river would be less than a single pixel at these scales. Theres no erosion or any physical effects at this stage. That does take a lot more processing so if any of these are chosen then ill do it for the picked one.

I really don't mind whether these are used or we go for another but having a detailed height map can really speed things up.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-27-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Just my two bits, but I think that Redrobe's maps look a lot more 'realistic' than the FT ones.

I particularly like the more fractured feel of the land masses which will make them easier to divide up into different areas.

I agree that Redrobe's maps have a more "realistic" shape to them. I particularly like "B". I feel the mountains might need a bit more of a ridged look, but then again at this scale you aren't really going to make out ridges anyway.

Thanks for posting them Redrobes.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Here is world 4 with a more 'fractured' land mass, just a simple matter of playing with the slider
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World 4.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	2878  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Here is world 4 with a more 'fractured' land mass, just a simple matter of playing with the slider
    I like this one. The diamond-shaped lake in the lower right has infinite possibilities, and to me, the lone island in the upper right screams to be populated by exiles and other undesirables; a nice out of the way place for a horror setting (my personal favorite) without mucking up the feel for the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I know FT lets you choose relative landmass and ocean sizes...but FT worlds just (IMO) look like they've been created in FT. I can't explain how I know it, but if you were to put a selection of real world maps and FT maps in front of me, I can bet (a little!) money I'd be able to spot the FT one straight off!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I know FT lets you choose relative landmass and ocean sizes...but FT worlds just (IMO) look like they've been created in FT. I can't explain how I know it, but if you were to put a selection of real world maps and FT maps in front of me, I can bet (a little!) money I'd be able to spot the FT one straight off!
    Ah well, to each their own. RedRobes Images to me do not look like a world to me. I look to see how the east/west come together and don't see it. Because of he square shape I can see the North & south really pinching, and the east west really stretching to form a globe.

That is not to say of course you are wrong and I am right. Just difference.

As sometimes the FT maps look all wrong to me, it's why I tend to gravitate to maps like #4 and not #3.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast