Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, all.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
    Welcome aboard Mr. Law. We actually had a link up to your work in our reference section last year (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=892). I hope you do get around to updating your website.

Your city maps are colorful and a joy to behold. Your tomb maps for Lure of the Liche Lord were incredible and filled with detail.

I hope your schedule and your patrons enable you to share more of your work with the Guild.
    Glad you liked the LotLL maps -- they were a total pain to get completed for the deadline I was given. But, I was pretty pleased with the outcome.

As for the city maps: well, I learn a little more with every one I complete, so I'm getting better with every step. That said, I sometimes feel my software is holding me back a little, so I'm in the market at the mo' for trying out something new.

As for the schedule: well, I'm always busy. I don't just map, I also write (I've written for several WFRP books, for example), so my fretime is very limited, especially as my primary job is a housedad! That said, I'll try to drop in and stay in contact.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I'll have a wander around and familiarise myself with the surroundings.

Hapimeses - Welcome to the Guild. (This is where I usually offer encouraging words and tell people how great the Guild is, but frankly, I don't think that you need any encouraging words.)

Most of the inhabitants here are amateurs, although we do have a few professionals hanging around. Encouragement for our lesser cartographers and constructive criticism for all is the order of the day.

I'm sure that most people who post in this thread are going to gush about your work (I'm really trying my best not to), so get ready. I will say, in all honesty, that I think that your Erengrad map is the best fantasy city map that I've ever seen, hands-down.

I'll make a request that I think most people would agree with. If you are willing, a tutorial (or several) on how your make your maps would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    Hapimeses - Welcome to the Guild. (This is where I usually offer encouraging words and tell people how great the Guild is, but frankly, I don't think that you need any encouraging words.)

Most of the inhabitants here are amateurs, although we do have a few professionals hanging around. Encouragement for our lesser cartographers and constructive criticism for all is the order of the day.

I'm sure that most people who post in this thread are going to gush about your work (I'm really trying my best not to), so get ready. I will say, in all honesty, that I think that your Erengrad map is the best fantasy city map that I've ever seen, hands-down.

I'll make a request that I think most people would agree with. If you are willing, a tutorial (or several) on how your make your maps would be greatly appreciated.
    Wow. High praise indeed. I'm honoured that you'd think that. The Erengrad map is a favourite of mine, but I really wish I'd been given more time to complete it (and to complete the other maps in the commission); I'm sure there is better maps in me yet.

As for the general tone and direction of the discussion board, I'd pretty much gathered as much from a quick tour of the place, but thanks for making it nice and clear. I'll endeavour to be on my best behaviour.

As for a tutorial or two? Really, I wouldn't know where to start. If I have the time, and anyone has anything they want to know, I'm sure I could rustle up something. That said, I'm not sure what people would want.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have to give the same praise for your Erengrad. I can't even imagine the process you would follow to get a coherent layout like that!

It is absolutely brilliant!

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I have to give the same praise for your Erengrad. I can't even imagine the process you would follow to get a coherent layout like that!

It is absolutely brilliant!

-Rob A>
    The process for the entire map? Erk! That'd take a bit to explain. I'm kinda old school: I just draw everything. So, no particular area that you have questions about?

I'll have a think about what I could do to explain it all in a simple fashion.

Anyway, thanks for the praise. I'm beginning to really like this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Hapimeses View Post
    The process for the entire map? Erk! That'd take a bit to explain. I'm kinda old school: I just draw everything. So, no particular area that you have questions about?

I'll have a think about what I could do to explain it all in a simple fashion.

Anyway, thanks for the praise. I'm beginning to really like this site.

OK, how about -
    1) what did you start with? A layout in mind, or did you "grow" the city mentally (i.e. figure how the city grew and the population increased).

2) do you lay out areas first, or roads, or just start drawing buildings?

3) did you start as a scanned sketch then ink/colour digitally, or all in the computer?

(I figure as little sound bites, you might be willing to answer )

-Rob A>

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think workflow is the biggest question...for a map like that there's gotta be a well defined workflow or it would never come together so well...good job! Its phenominal!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    OK, how about -
    1) what did you start with? A layout in mind, or did you "grow" the city mentally (i.e. figure how the city grew and the population increased).

2) do you lay out areas first, or roads, or just start drawing buildings?

3) did you start as a scanned sketch then ink/colour digitally, or all in the computer?

(I figure as little sound bites, you might be willing to answer )

-Rob A>
    1) I had a layout in mind when I began. The city was already described, all I had to do was realise the written version. Normally, I'd do things a little differently, but Erengrad is a special case, as large sections of it have just been rebuilt, much of it without any serious planning.

2) I started with the contours of the land first, marking the high areas and low areas, and marking the coastline and riverbanks. After colouring it all appropriately, I moved on to sketching the locations of each major district, then added the locations of each major landmark. After that, I filled the details in block by block until the map was finished. I then added the key and title box. Basically, I built it from the ground up, if that makes sense?

3) Although I used to work from drawn sketches, I ditched that some time ago. Now pretty much all my work is 100% digital.

And, yes, quick soundbites certainly is easy.

Your work is absolutely stunning and definitely inspiring to this amateur.

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by rwaluchow View Post
    Your work is absolutely stunning and definitely inspiring to this amateur.

Welcome!
    Thanks for the welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast