Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The world of Etrakien

Sorry for the threadjack here...

Speaking of the Bamboo, has anyone used one? Are they any good for mapping?

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Excellent map and excellent mountains... Very impressed with the individual time you took to do each one... and for the forests... i'm all eyes and ears for how you did those ... what size are you working with for the over all map? What is the scale of the map?
    Thanks for the nice words :-)
    The forest is done with a pattern as a base layer. On top of that layer I have a layer with green colour an 50% opacity. After that it's just some freehand painting to get some variation in colours. Honestly I'm still figuring out how to do it...this is actually my first map completely done in PS. Previosly I've always done the drawing and colouring by hand. PS has only been used for names and borders. So we see where this will end up :-)

I decided to redo all the rivers on the map. They felt out of scale. So here is a update with, in my opinion, better rivers. I've also added some small islands and small features to the coastline.

:-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	världskarta_4.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	3680  

I'm trying to put in some hills on my map and i don't know if I'm in the right direction. So I thought I put up a test that I've done. What do you think? Will it work?

I also did put some green colour in the coast line to highlight it a bit.

Well, feel free to comment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hill test.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	3931  

I think the hills look great, and the green border outlining the land works quite well.

And I'm stunned that you drew all those mountains by hand. Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by DanChops View Post
    I think the hills look great, and the green border outlining the land works quite well.

Ditto. The hills look very nice. Did you do those with a tablet or mouse?
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I love this map, especially great arcing shapes of the mountain ranges which gives it a really individual character. Lovely work, and super improvements from the last time.

Guild Journeyer

it looks good, I love to see more people using hand drawn mountain ranges.

The only issue that sticks out to my eyes would be the river on the south-west, I would expect a river that started on the western edge of a mountain to drain to the western coast, not switch around to the east.

Quote Originally Posted by DanChops View Post

Thanks for the nice words. I actually tried to do a pattern for the mountains at first but it was hard to get them the way I wanted. So I realized that there is no shortcut to good looking mountains so I did them all by hand. But it doesn't take that much time to do. For every mountain range I did the time to do it decreased a lot. And it was actually fun to see the ranges develop and the carachter of the land take shape.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Ditto. The hills look very nice. Did you do those with a tablet or mouse?
    I did them using a tablet. Without a tablet I never could have done this map.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    it looks good, I love to see more people using hand drawn mountain ranges.

The only issue that sticks out to my eyes would be the river on the south-west, I would expect a river that started on the western edge of a mountain to drain to the western coast, not switch around to the east.
    In my opinion hand drawn mountains look better and are more fun to do then patterns. Yes it takes a lot more time but the result really pays off.

About the river....well in fantasy worlds the rivers don't always behave the way you expect ;-) Honestly I didn't think about....but for now I think I stick with the abswer above.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast