Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking Big - Torq's landgrab - choose a territory

I think we are seeing different priorities which is natural and to be expected. If your style of mapping means you need an accurate heightfield and projection data so that you map meshes seamlessly with Neon's world map, then that works for you. I want to stress that that is not a requirement. Many of the mappers in this project are ignoring projection and inventing their own height maps and thats equally cool. Still others are using mapping styles that dont rely on height maps at all.

I think we need to make this clear, becasue noone should feel there is a right or wrong approach to this project.

Del, it a question of style, not a bug that needs to ironed out. Redrobes is adopting an approach to his map that is admirable and realies on accuracy. That is not a universal requirement. You start mapping when you need to start mapping.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Here is the latest landgrab view. Nearly all the real estate is gone. When it is I think we can safely say we've got through the first satge successfully. Then it just remains to be seen what we produce.

Torq
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1a.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	2993  

Blog Entries

I have the World map in 16 bit

Here is a download of it as a pair of bitmaps. The 'minor' will only be useful to those people who can use 16bits. To get into 16bit take the major one, scale by 256 and add the minor one. I can try to provide a 16bit PNG if you like but I don't have anything to check it with. If you have a specific but common file format then let me know.

The ZIP

Its about 50Mb so only download it if you need it. I will work on a color texture of it and I am hoping to get hold of the kingdom area in high res to convert too so we can each have a height map tile.

I'm trying to bone up on my java2d stuff. I'm not working on anything near as sophisticated as what you're doing(my attempt at implementing precipiton erosion was just sad), but I'm trying to find little learning projects to get my hand in. One of the projects I've been working on is a little app to convert 16-bit RG targas into 16-bit grayscale pngs or tifs. I recently found out landserf reads images as 32-bit RGBA so I've already added that to my goals. It looks like now I'll have to add separate bmp files.

By the way, thank you.

EDIT: Yes, please make a 16-bit png. Simplifies my life ginormously.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Here is the latest landgrab view. Nearly all the real estate is gone. When it is I think we can safely say we've got through the first satge successfully. Then it just remains to be seen what we produce.

Torq
    lol.. my name seems to be longer than 600 miles... Torq, feel free to use my shortened name "Del" ...

Blog Entries

Right with a 16 bit height map I have rendered it out at 8K x 4K. Thats a big file so be easy on my webspace But for people who are doing Google Earth or want a reasonably high res world map then this will do for now.

Color Map

Su-Liam, ill work on trying to get 16bit PNGs. I think ImageMagick Q16 will do that - you might have to test it for me tho. I'll prob do that tomorrow as I have to give a demo.... Del

Hoping that Monks can get me the region image as a 16bit file at high res.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I repped Darkone and Neon for their hardwork in this project ... I tried to give Torq, Redrobes, and Rav some as well... but apparently I thought highly of their reputations enough for this period... you have my respect tho guys

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    I'm trying to bone up on my java2d stuff. I'm not working on anything near as sophisticated as what you're doing(my attempt at implementing precipiton erosion was just sad), but I'm trying to find little learning projects to get my hand in. One of the projects I've been working on is a little app to convert 16-bit RG targas into 16-bit grayscale pngs or tifs. I recently found out landserf reads images as 32-bit RGBA so I've already added that to my goals. It looks like now I'll have to add separate bmp files.

By the way, thank you.

EDIT: Yes, please make a 16-bit png. Simplifies my life ginormously.
    I believe Wilbur will allow you read in a fractint (RG-tga) and save it as a 16 bit png hf...(and vice versa...)

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Yes, please make a 16-bit png. Simplifies my life ginormously.
    Mwahahahah I have it !!!

Thanks to Monks, a free terragen to tif converter, a few custom programs to get to raw and image magick to PNG16 we have what IM reckons to be png16 files.

I havent checked them and I know the scaling is not perfect but heres some links. Again - they are big so only get em if you have to - and I wouldnt rely on saving the file from your browser window, use its "save link as" option or else it might drop it from 16bit to 8bit.

World
    Region

Monks reckons that the Region range = -3607.4 to 8142.3 ft. I have scaled it so that it takes the full white range for maximum accuracy so you will have to adjust accordingly. And I have clipped it a bit so if the max range is within the border then it will be out also. The image size is 6144x5120 which is 6x5 x 1024x1024 tiles cut to the edges of the Torq's array.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 04-05-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Brilliant Redrobes. This is an invaluable resource for this project. Thanks for all the hard work and research that you have put in so far and the support you have given this project. Tried to rep you but it seems I have to spread some round first.

Torq

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast