Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Meeting....

Glad to see you back Jtougas I like what your doing so far!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map

Here is the finished version of the "Stables" Encounter Map. I added a lighting effect below the grate to show that there was something down there. I am enjoying this little series so much that I have already started on the next "installment" which will feature a section of the Riverhewn sewers. Stay Tuned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Stables.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	46456
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Very nice - a lovely map. I really like the way you have shown the rafters. The only thing I'd say is that the light makes it very unclear the grate leads to a tunnel. Perhaps you could make the light look a bit more distant down the tunnel?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Very nice - a lovely map. I really like the way you have shown the rafters. The only thing I'd say is that the light makes it very unclear the grate leads to a tunnel. Perhaps you could make the light look a bit more distant down the tunnel?
    Thank you and I think your right. The light under the grate isn't quite doing what I want it to. I'll see what I can come up with.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

After Jacktannery's suggestion I went in and fiddled with the "grate lighting" a bit. This is closer to what I was originally looking for; a sort of "foggy distant" kind of effect. I also realized that (as I often do) I dropped the grid layer down on top of EVERYTHING which is fine if you plan on walking on top of a wheelbarrow or a water trough.... This is the newest version with those issues addressed.

Name:	The Stables.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	46459

Finished Maps

It's better, but I feel that the colour is off. The greeny-yellow light isn't working very well with your hay (which is lit beautifully by the way - the best lit hay I've ever seen). Have you considered going with a sinster rusty-coloured light inside the sewer, so that the dominant colours below the grate are reddish-orange and black? This might help to differentiate it from the yellow hay; you would probably want to change the orange colour of the light source to the right in that case however.

In any case I love it, and i might even use it in my campaign next week!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    It's better, but I feel that the colour is off. The greeny-yellow light isn't working very well with your hay (which is lit beautifully by the way - the best lit hay I've ever seen). Have you considered going with a sinster rusty-coloured light inside the sewer, so that the dominant colours below the grate are reddish-orange and black? This might help to differentiate it from the yellow hay; you would probably want to change the orange colour of the light source to the right in that case however.

In any case I love it, and i might even use it in my campaign next week!
    Thanks for the suggestion I'll give that a try. and please feel free to use this if you want.

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip The Sewer....

Calan Stonebridge heaved at the rusty grate with all his might. He had watched the men climb down into the murky darkness below and now he was determined to follow them. With a loud squeal the grate gave way and swung open. Calan could see a wooden ladder and not much else. There was a flickering light source somewhere below him but he could not tell how far away it was. He swallowed back his fear and placed his foot on the first rung of the ladder. He knew there was no turning back now even though he was completely unarmed and carried only a small piece of cheese and a warm shirt in a pack on his back. He had told no one of his plans and was sure that fat Menna and his mother would not even miss him. He climbed down the ladder gripping each rung tightly enough to cause himself pain until he reached the bottom. The smell of the flowing sewer assaulted his senses. Everyone in Riverhewn knew of the sewers but very few ever came down to the dark and fetid depths. Calan stood on the rocky ground with his arm in front of his nose in a vain attempt to block the smell. He was standing in a circular chamber that seemed to be carved from the earth itself. In front of him like a vile river flowed the sewer. He could see crates and stacks of equipment. He nearly jumped out of his skin as a voice echoed from an unseen passageway. Trembling with fear he hid behind a stack of crates and begged his heart to stop beating so loudly......

Here is the beginning of the next "episode" in the Calan Stonebridge series. "The Sewer" I didn't realize how hard it was to design an underground chamber until I went through four or five versions of this until I came up with something I liked. All the fundamentals are here and now I have some detailing and lighting to do. It will be much darker and of course there will be some sort of dim lighting effect. (possibly wall hung torches) I used a couple of pre-made objects and have included the credits and links below As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Floor Texture (Moss added by me) Greytale's Nook
    Ladder Neyjour Deviantart
    Packs & Gear Greytales Nook

Name:	The Sewer Entrance.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	46487

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

Worked a little more on this tonight. I added a passageway and what I am calling "The Chamber" I'm not 100% sure what "The Chamber" is going to be just yet but I'm sure it will come to me. Here's a little tip for everyone (I'm sure everyone knows this already but...) ALWAYS make a note of how you create things. Case in point; the "Sewer Water" I had a really cool effect for the first segment and then forgot how I did it for the next two. (I've always been a bit scatterbrained when it comes to that stuff...) I got lucky and came up with something pretty close that I can live with and of course it HAS to be a sickly green color what good would a fantasy sewer be if it wasn't green? There is still lots to do on this such as adding the moss to Greytales excellent rocks and there is still the lighting as well. I think Calan Stonebridge is off on a most excellent adventure and I can't wait to see where he goes next.....

Crates By: r-kelleg and can be found HERE

Torches By: grimcatch and can be found HERE

Views:	121 
Size:	667.2 KB 
ID:	46488

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

Calan Stonebridge walked cautiously down the dimly lit passageway. The foul odor was even more offensive here as there was less space for it to disperse. He could see things scurrying away out of the corner of his eye and was glad that they did scurry and not decide to investigate what a scared boy from the surface world was doing in their domain. The men that Calan followed had stuck torches in the occasional wall sconce and the pale light only made his surroundings more frightful. He came out of the narrow passageway into a large chamber that was also lit with the wall torches. More sounds of scurrying could be heard in the corners of this room. In one corner of the room there was a tall moss covered arched doorway in the other corner was a smaller doorway that led to a shaft inside which a ladder sat ready. Calan heard the sounds of footsteps and dashed behind the arch door. What he saw would haunt his dreams for the rest of his days. In the center of the small room sat a marble pool. This pool was filled with liquid of the purest black and on this liquid, seemingly suspended above it a arcane rune and leering skull glowed a sickly red. Calan Stonebridge felt the eyes of the skull boring into him as if it were reaching for his very soul....

Well I figured out what to do with "The Chamber". I also added the moss and another ladder (every evil chamber needs an exit... ) I think for the most part this is done and the next part of the adventure awaits.... As always feedback is requested and appreciated.

Arched Doorway By Greytale and can be found HERE

Regular version with full lighting

Views:	135 
Size:	605.8 KB 
ID:	46525

Version with no "dark" layer

Name:	The Sewer Entrance no dark.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	693.2 KB 
ID:	46526
    Last edited by jtougas; 07-13-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: updated images

Finished Maps

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast