Thread: Ebook Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I've come to find that while I LOVE LOVE LOVE my kindle...(e-ink, not tablet)...It's not a very good device for reference-type reading. I love plowing through novels, but I would never want to do any study-reading or reference-reading on it. That's what real books and tablets/laptops are for.

This is a great write-up though.
    I'm 110% with Robbie here! - Looks at Jax

Seriously, I am. The kindle is great for reading novels (particularly novels you are only going to read once) and has solved the bookcase shortage problem in our house, but when it comes to reference books nothing beats dead tree.

I can't imagine reading an entire novel in electronic format, it would either drive me nuts or make blinder than I already am.
    I was exactly like GP until about late last year when my wife and mother in law both got kindles and I started to use them. Until then my main arguments against the kindle:

a. A real book has a physical geography a kindle doesn't.
    b. If you lose / drop / ruin a real book it doesn't break / it's cheaper to replace.
    c. A real book doesn't require batteries.
    d. I don't need to carry 500 books with me, I only need the one I'm reading at the time.

What I found with the Kindle is that you can change the font size on the screen so it can be easier to read than a book for oldies (late forties like GP) like me whose eyes are going. For novels I've found: Geography and pictures don't matter / are not there. The kindle battery has a very long recharge life. I actually like having the choice of what to read. ...so I'm a convert.

ps (bad nettiquette) but, it's sans serif not san-serif.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    ps (bad nettiquette) but, it's sans serif not san-serif.
    As if that were my only tpyo.
    Last edited by töff; 02-12-2012 at 04:12 PM.