Thread: April Entry: The Legend of Mata-Gara

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm officially intrigued. I can see me spending too much time trying to decipher your code(s?) and not enough finishing my own entry.

Are we allowed to take a guess if we think we've got it?

delgondahntelius - I don't have the time to figure out your riddle but I have to say that I really love your map. I really like the handdrawn feel. Beautiful.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpamValiant View Post
    Are we allowed to take a guess if we think we've got it?
    Absolutely! .. what fun is a puzzle if noone gets to make a guess?

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    This one has me stumped! I thought the top lettering was rot 13, but it isn't.
    Nope, not ROT 13, I didn't want to make it 'too' simple, but simple (so i thought) enough that it could be figured out in a reasonable amount of time by a group of players... But you were close... you are in the right back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    delgondahntelius - I don't have the time to figure out your riddle but I have to say that I really love your map. I really like the handdrawn feel. Beautiful.
    You can call me Del Thank you, it makes the time spent on a map worth all the more when I hear things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Nice one Del! I'm no good at cryptology so I won't even make the attempt
    Thanx Rob, I appreciate the encouragement. No worries tho, I too am horrible at cryptology. And would probably hate my DM if he pulled out a map like this one...which is why I enjoy springing these on my players... mwahahaha
    ------------------------------

Moderately simple was what I was trying to achieve, but often times when creating a puzzle, the creator knows the answer so it may seem simple. Everything is easy when you know the answer. So I'm hoping I didn't make it too hard.

I will create a txt file with hints and solution so others can attempt to solve it if they wish... I'll try to get that up soon as i'm able Thanks for the map-ego boost... it helps, believe me... and I'm just glad that Handdrawn maps and pen & ink are still admired in a pixelated cgi world.

Del

Info

Finally ... the solution in document and pdf files:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails matagarasolutions.pdf  
    Attached Files Attached Files

After rereading some of my research into ciphers... I have found that this is one of the most complicated ciphers that can be done by pencil and pad without computers... so I failed at my attempt to find a 'moderately simple' code... it can however be adapted to a more simple one .... of which I can write if anyone wants to use this ....

If I'm not mistaken the allies used this code system in the second world war for SOE operatives dropped into Europe. If you get a chance, read a book called 'Between Silk and Cyanide' it's written by one of the people who contributed to inventing the cypher...and it's a brilliant read. LOL there was no way on earth I was going to solve that one!

I'll see if I can find the book, I must admit that while cryptology has always been an interesting subject for me.. I never really took the time to study its history and its complexity. In WW1 the germans used it until they found out that the french were breaking their codes within a matter of days.... and in WW2 brit. SOE operatives were using it in the field... by this time tho, I think the germans learned from their mistake, hence the Enigma code...

I should have kept the original single code, but as I said.. when you are sitting on the developing side of the fence, it looks a little easier. It was only after I wrote out the solution that obivious difficulties in deciphering it were apparent.

This is the major difficulty in hand drawn maps (pen & ink especially) is that if you need to change something major ... you have to completely redo the map. But that is what these challenges are all about eh? ... not only did I learn something about history and cryptography but any mistakes that are made can be learned from. (at least, you are supposed to learn from them, sometimes I little slow in getting a point )

Post Because your drawing will be scanned...

When I do hand-drawn maps, I know that the work is going to be digitally scanned before completion. This means that most changes can be easily done.

Areas like contiguous coastline changes are a little tough, but most everything else can be redrawn separately scanned and placed into the original map using GIMP or other image editing software. And still look like it was done in the original rendering.

On the extreme side, if you look at my November challenge entry, although the work is completely hand-drawn. Every mountain face, butte, cactus, structure is a separate map object drawn individually scanned and converted to map objects that can be placed by anyone using my objects to build their map. Yet it looks like it was hand-drawn in a single sheet at one time.

I don't worry about having to totally redraw my map. Think digitally and you'll have more options for your handiwork!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations