Thread: What to use to make a DEM?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

i like bryce as a tool, but found the erosion and such really lacking in any kind of real form, it seems to be something that either adds or subtracts from whats already there, so you don't end up with realistic erosion... but i've only used it very little, and may be that i don't know what the hell i'm doing

as far as worldbuilder, i did download it upon su_liam's mention and tried it out, and well, its a little daunting, as far as trying to stick all the modules together to make something coherant... probably a few tutorials are in order...
    Last edited by loogie; 04-07-2008 at 08:33 AM.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

I'd seriously considering using the Wilbur Method on my section of the Big Idea Map. Unfortunately it's pretty destructive of existing structures, so I could probably never get my map to fit back in with the neighbors. Everybody would laugh at me... throw rocks and garbage... I don't know. For an original map, though, that kicks serious booty.

There's some stuff I've been doing with grunge brushes with some success. It's pretty hit-or-miss, though. Even more than some of my other off the wall ideas. Also, I don't trust PS to paint in 16-bit.

I did see the tutorial and i have played around with it (it does look sweet huh) but i'm looking at more along the lines of continents, not a random land square, and tho i know i can do that in wilbur, i don't know it enough to get it right... (and when i use high res images, besides taking forever, all the blur/erosion/other values in that tutorial don't really apply... (i tried with my 4096x4096 current map, but i couldn't get erosion to really show up at all...

so if anyone knows how to use it, and could give me a lesson, or point me in the right direction.. that'd be great!

i'd have to say with waldronate's new wilbur tutorial (were you reading my thread and decided to help me? seriously.. couldn't come at a better time!) I'd have to say wilbur is my best bet i've seen so far... i'll be playing around with it and seeing if i can come up with something... thanks again waldronate!