Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Madness at Gardmore Abbey Encounter Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Latest WIP: arrowslits are now the correct way around (but still too flat - I'm not sure how to improve them) and I tried to break up the piles of rust a little.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hero's Gate.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	3.63 MB 
ID:	43618

Looks, to me, like the rest of your walls have a roundness caused by erosion. However your arrow slits seem sharp by comparison. Try to give them that same rounded look. I would try a gradual gradient mask, dodge/burning, but I'm no expert by any means.

I also agree the location does not serve the intended function of arrow slits, but doubt most players will notice. Mine wouldn't. If you were trying for more reality the arrow slits would be along the west path where they would be used to rain terror down on anyone climbing the approach. Now if the path double backed under the structure... it would make more sense.

Love the blur on the height effect.

Cheers!
    Last edited by anaxetogrind; 04-02-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks anaxetogrind. Everyone is correct that the arrow slits are not very practical, however perhaps the path does indeed wind up the cliffface directly underneath; in any case I'm stubbornly keeping them. I'll try and do as you suggest tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxetogrind View Post
    Love the blur on the height effect.
    The best thing about it is that I did not blur it at all! It is a completely unmodified google map satellite screenshot of some random french hillside. I just added a bit of fuzz over the top and bleached it, but otherwise kept it exactly as it was.

Greetings Jacktannery,
    After looking at your artwork/maps I was inspired to post my first comment here. You're very talented. I especially enjoyed the window lighting on the floor in the wizard's tower, and the way the town faded deep below the hero's tower battlemap. From a usability point of view, I was really inspired by your heated pool/forest map, as well as your excellent gatehouse and many others. I wish you good luck in your future endeavors.

Thank you PaxVeritas - great to get such encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxVeritas View Post
    ... your heated pool/forest map ....
    You are the second person to say it, if you mean my Encounter 9 map with the spider webs. I whipped this out for my PCs a little while ago. I was really proud, and hoped that they would be suitably impressed. They say they pride comes before a fall...

After pointing out that the low cloud in the middle of the forest was unrealistic (I tried to explain it was supposed to be a small lake - but they kept thinking it was a cloud or something steaming) they pointed out that in the future I might be better off downloading free maps for use in the campaign. They even gave me a link to site where I can download 4E encounter maps! I still enjoy making them though.

I've been following this thread and I think you're doing a fine job creating maps. I've been saving them for use in my own Madness campaign.

I've been saving them for use in my own Madness campaign.

Great - I was hoping someone else would use them, not just me. Make sure to use the finished and polished maps in the finished map thread, not the rougher maps in this thread (see post 1 for link). I'll probably get back to this in March after I complete the mapping challenge.

Starting the next couple of these - here is the first WIP for Encounter 20 the barracks:

Name:	Enc 20.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	44695

Possibly the finished version:

Name:	Enc 20.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	3.43 MB 
ID:	44712
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 05-11-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Looks great, how do you make the walls?

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast