Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Madness at Gardmore Abbey Encounter Maps

Thanks Kenny,

I'm not that happy with the way I did the chessboard on that map. But here it is anyway: here's the completed map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enc 29.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	62039

Here's the floor only.

Name:	Enc 29B.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	62040

Here's the colours only (.png). These are on grain merge. I used a layer mask with a plasma cloud to get the faded look.

Name:	Enc 29C.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	1,004.2 KB 
ID:	62041

Guild Journeyer

Jack,
    Good tip, i never thought of using the plasma cloud! will have to play with my chessboard a bit more. I think i need more shadows in my map as well to make it more gloomy. Do you have the Minotaur statue saved? i spent about an hour playing with the original image to make it look statue-esque but it still looks pretty craptastic.
    Last edited by Kennyt; 03-09-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Guild Journeyer

I think i may have got a working version of the Minotaur statue together...here is my combined Vaults part II Map.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...mbs-vaults.jpg
    of course your lighting is on another level than mine.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected F. Randall Farmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyt View Post
    I think i may have got a working version of the Minotaur statue together...here is my combined Vaults part II Map.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...mbs-vaults.jpg
    of course your lighting is on another level than mine.
    Wow! I wish I could have printed these as the floors for my run of the Dining Room and the Temple - They would have looked great under these encounters!

Do you have the Minotaur statue saved? i spent about an hour playing with the original image to make it look statue-esque but it still looks pretty craptastic.
    No, but I'd say all I did was to put a rock texture over the minotaur drawing on 'grain merge'. Your map is looking really great -well done.

Guild Journeyer

very nice job on the 3D! how did you like the adventure altogether? i am gonna actually start DM'ing mine come April.

Thanks on the kudos Jack - your maps are still the benchmark i am aspiring to though!

very nice job on the 3D! how did you like the adventure altogether? i am gonna actually start DM'ing mine come April.

Thanks on the kudos Jack - your maps are still the benchmark i am aspiring to though!
    I tried this because of all the great reviews I'd heard about it... Especially how they managed to get The Deck of Many Things into a game design without completely ruining the game!

Here are some episodes of The Tome Show (a podcast) that featured it: The Tome Show

Once I had it, it was a matter of figuring out where it fit in the campaign and having the big bad in an early adventure-arc have the one loose Card.

As for running the game, it was a true joy. They could choose the path through the multiple arcs - with 3 arcs each with separate entrances to the abbey - and the adventure was well written with multiple flash-back stories to tie the parts together.

A good example is captured in this post from my run: https://the-forsite-irregulars.obsid...ir-oakleys-end - though I moved the sword in question to a different treasure parcel (it was originally in another arc's throwaway encounter).

My advice it to prepare each arc completely, once the characters have chosen a path. Do not run this without prep, you'll miss a story line that you will have to awkwardly fix later. Do the "index card" notes technique, it is totally worth it.

I really liked that the adventure customized itself based on an initial random draw from the deck (including the identity of the BBG!).

But don't feel a complete slave to the results, I tweeked the Rivals positions and chose the alternate finale for my secret boss to better fit the situation and my greater campaign story arc.

Oh! That reminds me that I should post my deck of many things power cards! :-)

I did it. I posted my Deck of Many Things Power Cards...

Thanks Kenny.
    I agree completely with Randall - I tried MaGA due to the great reviews, found that running the game was amazingly easy despite the fact that the module is a sandbox, not a linear plot, and overall me and my players really enjoyed it. Our game was play-by-post and you can see it here Madness at Gardmore Abbey on RPoL.

Great power cards Randall.

Praise

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Our game was play-by-post and you can see it here Madness at Gardmore Abbey on RPoL.
    I scanned your RPoL game, I love reading and hearing about folks' run of the same adventure and noting how similar the players and GMs interpretations are (and where they are different.)

So far, every party I've heard of thought to skin the displacer beasts - even those that (like mine) didn't yet know about the potential utility, nor special call-outs in the module that it was possible.

Great run!

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast