Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Madness at Gardmore Abbey Encounter Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Facebook Connected F. Randall Farmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyt View Post
    very nice job on the 3D! how did you like the adventure altogether? i am gonna actually start DM'ing mine come April.

Thanks on the kudos Jack - your maps are still the benchmark i am aspiring to though!
    I tried this because of all the great reviews I'd heard about it... Especially how they managed to get The Deck of Many Things into a game design without completely ruining the game!

Here are some episodes of The Tome Show (a podcast) that featured it: The Tome Show

Once I had it, it was a matter of figuring out where it fit in the campaign and having the big bad in an early adventure-arc have the one loose Card.

As for running the game, it was a true joy. They could choose the path through the multiple arcs - with 3 arcs each with separate entrances to the abbey - and the adventure was well written with multiple flash-back stories to tie the parts together.

A good example is captured in this post from my run: https://the-forsite-irregulars.obsid...ir-oakleys-end - though I moved the sword in question to a different treasure parcel (it was originally in another arc's throwaway encounter).

My advice it to prepare each arc completely, once the characters have chosen a path. Do not run this without prep, you'll miss a story line that you will have to awkwardly fix later. Do the "index card" notes technique, it is totally worth it.

I really liked that the adventure customized itself based on an initial random draw from the deck (including the identity of the BBG!).

But don't feel a complete slave to the results, I tweeked the Rivals positions and chose the alternate finale for my secret boss to better fit the situation and my greater campaign story arc.

Oh! That reminds me that I should post my deck of many things power cards! :-)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected F. Randall Farmer's Avatar

I did it. I posted my Deck of Many Things Power Cards...

That looks great Mr Abom & Randall.

Huge thanks for the original Jack, and thank you Randall for the touched up version; it'll look great in my campaign.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718