Quote Originally Posted by Kennyt View Post
Jack,Do you use a graphics tablet in conjunction with GIMP?
No. Mouse only.

in retrospect, after learning the ins and out of GIMP, would you still have gone that route? or would you have picked another software like photoshop or CC3?
No I would have gone for GIMP. I believe its better than Photoshop (which is not free). I don't know enough about CC3 to comment, I only know Photoshop and Gimp. Having discussed software with other cartographers on the CG I know that each person has their different preferences. You need to find a programme that suits you and make it work for you. For me, that was always going to be a good-quality open-source programme, in hindsight, so I think I personally would have ended up with GIMP whatever I tried first.

For the all the items and such inside your maps, is there a free repository that you grabbed from, or are they all self created?
When I was making these maps I used pre-made items. If you read through my WIP thread (link in post 1) I usually link to them. For comission work (ie if I'm making a map to sell, not just for myself) I would be much more careful; but in fact nowadays I make everything myself and have a very pared down map approach. I use lots of dunjinni objects and now I always very carefully reference every pre-made item I use and check it's open source or whatever; you can see my more recent work on dunjinni Jacktannery (Jacktannery) on deviantART

Did you have any formal schooling before hopping into GIMP or is it something a moderately computer proficient person can hop into provided they clock in the man hours to learn it?
No - that's the whole point! I am totally crap at computers and crap at art with a capital A. I just taught myself from scratch on these forums with the amazing assistance of Bogie and Jpgfrazier - in fact I taught myself making these very maps in the WIP thread. To be honest I look back at these maps and think they are a bit naff, but that's because my aesthetic has changed. Point is: you can do it.