Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: P3 Assault on Nightwyrn Fortress Encounter Maps

D3 and D4 finished - I am extremely proud of my secret doorway - it's just about possible to guess that there is something a bit fishy about the wall in the first map, and with closer examination of the map you can tell it must be a fake wall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D4.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	635.2 KB 
ID:	44960 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	638.2 KB 
ID:	44961

I think the flames are a bit too blow out(like overexposed on a picture), but other than that, very nice work. Not really sure how to suggest changes though... Personally, I prefer the ones with a bit more yellow and less orange/dark.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I agree with Jfraz, the colors on the map on the right do look a bit over-exposed. I like the map on the left though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks for the advice - I'll change it around.

Question - I am working on D5 at the moment - the throne of the fire-thing lord person. I used Supercaptain's 'Alter of Fire Death' as the base of the throne, then added a blue border with dragons and put an odd glass-bottomed throne on top of it. I haven't quite finished the columns yet (actually I'd appreciate any advice regarding column shadows now)- but:

Is this map completely over the top in a bad way? Do I need to stop right now before it gets worse?

Name:	D5.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	618.5 KB 
ID:	44994

Well.. if your asking the question, you probably already know the answer. I have to say that I would not use that throne in this scene. you have one object using force perspective and none of the others do. Sooo.. IMO, it's to busy...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks jfrazier - I'll think about changing the throne out - but if the throne's perspective is the only thing that looks obviously wrong on the map, then I count it as an overall success. For the moment I am just completing the rest of the lighting on the rest of the map, and I changed the 'gas' colours in V4 to try and make it look more like the blue/purple of a gas flame.

Name:	D4.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	704.6 KB 
ID:	45055 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	727.4 KB 
ID:	45056

Working on the next one now: this is going to be a long staircase. Nice to have a change of shape. Early stages yet. I will be making my own staircase for this map. I will also be changing the tile background. I want to use muted colour (greys) but perhaps greyscale is too stark.

Jfrazier will be thrilled to note that I part-reversed the wall texture in the N-S bits; but in fact this wall texture was a bad choice because its repetitions are very obvious at the moment. That will likely change when the wall-sconces and lighting are added so I'm not too worried.

Name:	Z2.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	905.8 KB 
ID:	45074

EDIT: First proper WIP. I'm not sure what I think yet. I found it a lot more difficult to make those stairs than I had though I would.

Name:	Z2.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	886.3 KB 
ID:	45077
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 05-25-2012 at 05:46 PM.

The fire lord maps are excellent. I also like them better once you toned them down a bit.

First time I've seen anyone use the gargoyles I took pictures of, and I'm using them in a map I'm working on right now as well. ( is it random chance or great minds think alike? )

Keep up the great work!

...great minds think alike?

Well you posted them up here only a few weeks ago. As soon as I saw them, I knew I really wanted to use them somewhere. Excellent photos Bogie. Also those frog statues you uploaded - I had just completed a map that called for frog statues, but I had to replace them with hounds instead. If only I had waited! Now I have to use that frog statue elsewhere.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast