Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 07][Location 01] Fentor Cross Area

Blog Entries

So with some new thatch buildings I have whooped up a town. Its all subject to change - especially if I make some more buildings and add some more variety to the small list that I am using currently.

If anyone has some Inns and Pubs already mapped and you want them located in Fentor Cross then now is an excellent time to whistle. I can shuffle the map about to make one fit in.

I will add some extra effects to make the roads and paths a little more defined and try to add contrast so that the roof and mud is not almost the same color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temp.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	3447  

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    You wont believe how small this is on the area map. Its a dot. The Forts are actually on the map. They are literally one pixel. Gahhh !
    After a trip to the coast, I took my son to the library. They have a big globe at the library and I wanted to give my son an idea of the size of this little planet of ours. The entire trip was less than a centimeter on the globe. Planets are big places.

Blog Entries

Twiddling thumbs so I done a bit more. Maybe I should have an image that I can update as I can see this one going through hundreds of revisions...

Su-Liam, I agree. I wonder if we would have more cooperative effect if the area was smaller. I'm kinda keen to get to the battle scale mapping, get some characters installed into the inns, shops etc, maybe seed some plot lines etc.

Well there are plenty of unnamed houses, buildings of all shapes to find people and plans for. If anyone was no good at terrain and wants to get out the graph paper then send them this way. If anyone has some stuff already mapped from old times and wants to donate then ill make a thatch building for it and add it in somewhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temp.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	199.1 KB 
ID:	3454  
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-05-2008 at 06:00 PM.

I like the map, but.....

The colors are too similar, it's hard to see the buildings.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I like the map, but.....

The colors are too similar, it's hard to see the buildings.
    Absolutely. I need to make the green greener and the mud darker I think even if that would make it less realistic. Its a problem that thatch is a dark gray brown and so is the mud. I guess this is where artistic license will have to take precedence over realism.

I thought about tiled roofs but were in fen land and theres gonna be oodles of reeds. Probably no real shortage of clay either but there would be a significant amount of thatch still I would imagine so I have to find some sort of bodge up.

Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions ?

Perhaps the townspeople make an unsophisticated pavement by mixing stones with a dense gray clay so they can move about without getting their boots sucked off by the mud.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post The clay around here is grey

In my neck of the woods, the topsoil is black-black, but the clay beneath is kind of a medium grey. So if you went grey with your mud, it would still be realistic, yet your brown thatched buildings should stand out against grey mud.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Perhaps make the thatch a tad yellower?
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Blog Entries

I'll try them all; Thatch yellower, grass greener, mud darker and gray. The drop shadow is harder but theres a good chance I can automate that and the pavement is also hard. To do that properly would need hand modeling but I think I might be able to automate a little of that effect around the edge of the mud. I did cobble the town square. Maybe I could try to cobble more of the mud areas where the mud would be deepest.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast