Thread: GIMP and layers/pattern fill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    You shouldn't see pixelation on a downscale... What was the resampling option you used? (Cubic is the best available in 2.2 IIR)

-Rob A>
    Uh, this is where I fumble my GIMP Knowledge roll that was apparently DC10 and I just did a 1.

Oh, you mean quality on the scaling dialog! Let me try that...

Well, that didn't help so much. When I use either pattern as a fill for my forest layer , after I "burn" it on top of my 'paper' layer, it still looks pixelly. It doesn't look as smooth as what I had hoped.

Now please forgive a beginner, but if I'm going from a 600px by 600 px (600dpi) picture to a 128px by 128px, I'm assuming I'm going to get some pixellation? Is this just something I have to live with?

Thanks for being patient...
    Neurowiz

If you reduce the size of an image, you should not get any significant pixellation or reduction in quality. If you go the other direction (128 x 128 -> 600 X 600), you will lose quality. Generally speaking.

I don't use Gimp, so I can't really say what might be happening, but if you can show us your elements and how they're interacting, it may help us to help you.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I don't know why either... can you post an example?

-Rob A>
    OK, I hope this works...

This is what my scaled pattern looks like when I've put it on a layer and burned it in with the 'antique paper' layer underneath.

This the same layer, but multiplied instead of burned.

Edited: OK, this is odd. The pattern file is at 128x128 by 72dpi? That would definitely cause some pixellation.

Thanks.
    Neurowiz
    Last edited by Chgowiz; 04-24-2008 at 10:50 PM.

If you're not printing the image, ignore dpi. It has zero effect on what you see on the screen. Can you also show us what it looks like at 600 X 600, so we have something to compare it to?

Actually, I should step back a little from that statement. It might make a difference, but I don't know how the Gimp handles dpi. If the software behaves properly, it shouldn't make a difference. If it doesn't, then that might, indeed, be the problem.

I'll leave it to Rob to say yea or nay on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    If you're not printing the image, ignore dpi. It has zero effect on what you see on the screen. Can you also show us what it looks like at 600 X 600, so we have something to compare it to?

Sure, here is the pattern at 600, and then scaled down.

You can't see the pixellation in the above, so when I zoom in on the scaled down image, this is what I see: