Hello.

Having moved from Windows to Linux and finding that Dundjinni has been 'blocked' from running natively in Linux via the Java JAR executer, I turned to GIMP to start creating maps and the like for my RPG maps.

I will first off admit that I'm about as artistic as a demolition car (although after a night at short track racing, I might be able to wax poetically about the thrill of racing wheel to wheel, but I digress...) so if I'm not understanding something, I apologize. I'm one of those who will jump in and then figure out what I need to learn.

I'm currently trying to work through the Zombie Fantasy Cartography tutorials - which are awesome and kudoes to the author - he directed me here to ask GIMP related questions.

My first question is very basic - I'm trying to replicate the Photoshop technique he uses for creating a Layer that has a pattern fill that scales.

I have a map 'paper' that I've created at 600x800x72dpi. I've created a 1"x1" 'forest' pattern at 600dpi. I've discovered that my version of GIMP (2.2) doesn't have a layer of type 'pattern fill' (in fact, it seems that there aren't really any 'type' of layers in GIMP like what is shown in the tutorial for Photoshop) and that although I can 'bucket fill' the layer with my pattern, I have to create a new pattern that is much smaller (about 128px by 128px) and then I get pixellation. The effect works, but isn't quite what I had hoped for.

Is that the way it has to be done in GIMP or am I missing something about how to scale up/down large patterns like is shown in the tutorial?

Thanks in advance.
Neurowiz