Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 25] - The Witchlight Strand

Joe-

Later in the post you linked I show a way to do it in GIMP using the newsprint filter.

-Rob A>

Here it is with the woodcutting.

I showed the map to my wife. She said it'd look really good when the mountains were done. I thought they were done, but to make her happy I played with them a bit as well.

She was right, of course...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cwbp iso2.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	4652  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

That's very pretty indeed.

A nitpicky point - the light on your mountains comes from the NE whereas the light for your land/sea edges comes from the NW. Also, you have very bright edges on the land/sea highlights, much brighter than on the mountains. That seems a little backwards. I'd tone down the land/sea highlights to blend into the map style more.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    That's very pretty indeed.

A nitpicky point - the light on your mountains comes from the NE whereas the light for your land/sea edges comes from the NW. Also, you have very bright edges on the land/sea highlights, much brighter than on the mountains. That seems a little backwards. I'd tone down the land/sea highlights to blend into the map style more.

Agreed. I like this version much better. As Torstan said, perhaps you can run a slight blur on the woodcut effect to make them still there, but not stand out so much. Though not bad by any means, it seems to be a bit more out of place, especially with the fuzziness of the ocean texture right next to it.

I like the difference in the mountains also... very nice.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

My guess is that you applied a bump map directly to the land lair to get the highlights around the coast? If so, try this instead. Apply the same bump map, but to a 50% grey lair instead. Then set that layer to overlay. That should lighten the relevant areas of the map and you can play with opacity to get a highlight that fits with the rest of the style. It should blend in a little better this way.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Apply the same bump map, but to a 50% grey lair instead. Then set that layer to overlay. That should lighten the relevant areas of the map and you can play with opacity to get a highlight that fits with the rest of the style. It should blend in a little better this way.
    Good technique

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    This looks so good! Reminds me of those sepia maps you can buy that come in those little red covers - do you know tha ones I mean?
    Actually, no. I have no clue what you're talking about.

Thanks for all the tips! I knew you guys wouldn't let me come out of this with too terrible a map.

Views:	33 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	4662  

Here's another update with my attempt at trees and a nifty little gorge in the badlands.

I guess it's about time to research what my neighbors have done and start working on a history--I haven't even thought about it, really.

Views:	45 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	4691  

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast