Quote Originally Posted by Airith View Post
I didn't want to make a new thread over it, and it is very similar to the op. Can I get some tips on how to start city mapping? Hopefully with GIMP too.

As for on topic, I think we need more organizations or at least ideas being thrown out. More collaboration would get this thing moving

Also, the wikipedia is a search only, or at least i presume that, as in I can't just scroll through a list or part of a list of places or things or food even. Just wondering if there was some other way to sort it.
Regarding tips for city mapping. The main difficulty with city mapping is layout. Firstly becasue its difficult to get it looking realistic and secondly becasue if you draw all the buildings individually it takes a massively long time. If you are starting with city maps I would recommend using an algorithm or brushes to set it out for you. You can always add individual buildings that you need. I use the rpg citymap generator thats been mentioned before on these threads. Its quite flexible too. There is also a building brush that RobA made for Gimp which I fopund very useful. Once you have the layout, then its a textures and lighting game which I think are the fun parts. So I think for a new city mapper my best advice (and probably controversial) would be not to draw the buildings themselves.

Torq