Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kobold Hold

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected

Wip Kobold Hold

Here is one of the first maps for a dungeon I am working on. First time doing it in photoshop, always did these maps by hand. It was a experience to say the least. I figured I would start with the end of the dungeon and work my way to the beginning. It should not be more than 4 maps total for the whole dungeon. Just enough for 3 encounters and maybe a trap or two. Would appreciate any feedback on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kobold_Hideout_End.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	46995
    Last edited by ruff; 07-27-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Guild Adept Seraphine_Harmonium's Avatar

I like it. Great for a first map using the photoshop!

Nice work, good caverns are tough to do and these ain't bad.

Wip

Thanks for all the comments.. I did finished the Map.. Here are the other 3 tiles of it.. I know the blending got a little rough at the bottom of the entrance piece.. I plan on going back and blending it a little bit better.. The other thing I want to work on is the grid, I feel it needs to be slightly heavier.. Let me know what you think..

Name:	Kobold_Hideout_Third.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	47017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kobold_Hideout_Second.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	240.0 KB 
ID:	47018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kobold_Hideout_Beginning.jpg 
Views:	730 
Size:	281.3 KB 
ID:	47019

Very nice - as you say the grid needs to be slightly heavier in some pages, but don't make it too heavy so as to dominate the map. The maps are quite lovely. I have some observations:

1) the water in the first map is really nice - it's got a real sense of depth and of light. The water in the third map does not - I think because it is deeper? I recommend you try and redo what you did in the first map (presumably blending the layer mask at the edges to a much greater extent) and also add overlay highlight to one half of the water in the third map, so as to show light dappling the surface and break up the regularity and sameness a bit.

2) The blending out of your rubble layer isn't great. Rather than blending it with the smudge or fuzzy-edged tool, you should create crisp edges on a layer lask with the crisp-edged paint tool. Draw around individual rocky fragments on the layer mask, then add some shadows to break it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Very nice - as you say the grid needs to be slightly heavier in some pages, but don't make it too heavy so as to dominate the map. The maps are quite lovely. I have some observations:

1) the water in the first map is really nice - it's got a real sense of depth and of light. The water in the third map does not - I think because it is deeper? I recommend you try and redo what you did in the first map (presumably blending the layer mask at the edges to a much greater extent) and also add overlay highlight to one half of the water in the third map, so as to show light dappling the surface and break up the regularity and sameness a bit.

2) The blending out of your rubble layer isn't great. Rather than blending it with the smudge or fuzzy-edged tool, you should create crisp edges on a layer lask with the crisp-edged paint tool. Draw around individual rocky fragments on the layer mask, then add some shadows to break it up.
    I Totally agree about the rubble in the last map.. I don't think I have the correct texture.. I need to find a couple really good textures for it.. I will fix the water later today in the last map.. The last map was the first one, so by the time I got to the other one with the water I had been playing for about 3 hours lol..

This is pretty nice stuff! I heartily approve

Actually I think your rubble texture is really good - it will look great so long as the edge of the rubble is sharp and follows the texture lines, rather than fading out. I think it's worth spending the extra time on the rubble and on getting the water right in your 'Kobold Hideout Second' map because overall they are really super and deserve to be absolutely perfect.

Wip

Worked on the water and removed the rubble from the last tile. I felt it just did not work as well as it should. I might revisit the rubble if I find a better texture. I gave shadow and highlights to the water in the two tiles.. I also made the grid slightly heavier than the last version I had.. Let me know what you think..

Name:	Kobold_Hideout_End2.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	47039Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kobold_Hideout_Second_Tile.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	240.3 KB 
ID:	47040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast