Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
Besides that, it's much easier to desribe a rooms dimensions and have everyone just know how much room there is because they are familiar with grids.
I rarely describe dimensions in exacting terms unless the PCs have some sort of measuring device, and if they are playing via VTT the sizes of the various objects and their own token is enough to give them the spacial size.
Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
Personally, I would not mind using hexes, but I abhor staggerded square.
Interesting. Why do you abhor staggered square? I am very curious about that.
Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
I voted for none but it depends a little.
That's why I made it a multiple selection poll.
For outdoor use I don't see any need for a grid at all. With hex I always thought it was more for convenience than any kind of real need for it.
Some systems use hex for their mechanics as well.
Some kinds of indoor stuff can be easier to map if calling it out on paper. I always remember the groans and slow down in play when you got to caves. But a VTT overcomes all of that.
Agreed.
The main reason I still use a grid is for mapping with a snap to grid option. Putting in pillars, tiles, walls and so on is much easier. Getting perfect 45 degree angles and so on is hard without some kind of snap action.
I totally agree with this as well. We all tend to need some sort of reference when drawing up the map, but it shouldn't limit the map either as is the case with most old school maps that have right angles everywhere, and as for including it in the map well VTTs handle that as well.
In some ways the grid gets in the way when the perfectly round fireball template lies half way across a grid.
Exactly!
Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
Truly for me, I never use a grid on my own maps when I play D&D, approximations spoken in game works well enough for my group.
Good to hear. I think most groups can deal quite well with it if they have the imagination to envision the scene. If the need more exacting details then the grid because an important crutch for those players.
We used and sometimes still play Battletech - and that of course requires hex grid maps.
Always a great game to toss out for a break from "usual". There is a great demo on the RPTools site that shows mechs walking around with their spot lights on. That always puts a smile on my face.
However, nowadays I am making maps for others and have to meet their expectations. Squares are fairly consistent for the printed battlemap market, and its what's expected.
Depending on the system of course. If you did a square grid map for the Hero System players they would look at you like you were from another planet and then burn it in effigy.
Plus D&D movement rules is usually square not hex. And if I'm creating a VTT map, then I use an implied square grid to get scale correct across the map, but then I don't include the grid with the final, as grids are inserted and scaled at the user's whim.

I use square, hex and no grid - it depends on who the map is for.
All good points and since you mention mechanics again, I have another question and this is for everyone above who mentioned mechanics actually.

Why do you adhere so strictly to the published mechanics? I already know the answers that will be "Because I don't play with the same people on a regular basis so I need to keep the rules as expected". I'm more interested in those of you that play with the same people. Do you not like using House Rules that could potentially "fix" a broken mechanic or do you feel that you won't be playing the system "right" or something else? I'm curious from a game designer perspective. In every system that I've been involved in there has always been a statement to the effect of "If it doesn't work for you, toss it out". I'm just curious if folks do that.

Also, I don't quite understand the need for "conversion rules" for D&D mechanics to hex. All a square or a hex is is a unit of measure. If you went through the book and everywhere it said 'square' you replaced it with 'space' wouldn't it still work just fine? I admit that I'm not real up on the most current rule sets, but it seems silly to me that you couldn't easily just replace the square with the hex or whatever and call it good.