Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Map for a Novel

Blog Entries

The way I might to stippling is to create a smaller image and hand stipple it and then keep that on file. Then when you come to a map just draw with the tablet the mask area and create a repeating version of the stipple and mask it into the main image. Sometimes you can see the repeat lines but if that is the case then mask in several versions of the stipple at different sized repeats. You might be able to get the PC to create some stippling for you with random noise too. So your only job is to draw the shape of where you want it.

I think the map is looking pretty darned terrific!

After reading some of the comments, I had to try my hand at coming up with a stippled effect in Photoshop, and I don't think it looks too shabby! Question is, does it work? (And no making fun of my goofy-looking hills. I drew them with my trackpad...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StippleEffect.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	3709  

Looks good. I'm watching this closely since I am a "handdrawer" by nature, so anything that produces useful hills, mountains, forests etc. is of use to me.
    Two in harmony surpass one in perfection

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillCypher View Post
    I think the map is looking pretty darned terrific!

After reading some of the comments, I had to try my hand at coming up with a stippled effect in Photoshop, and I don't think it looks too shabby! Question is, does it work? (And no making fun of my goofy-looking hills. I drew them with my trackpad...)
    That's pretty good stipple... I've played around a bit with stipples in PS and (IMO) to pull off a good handdrawn stipple effect you need at least a couple different stipple brushes... three is a normal for me. keep it heavy around the edges or where you are defining a section (be it swamp, water or whatever) and give it less towards the middle or center (unless you have objects to define in the center, IE an island) ... keep each stipple on a seperate layer and try turning the opacity down on the stipple that you want to keep light or shading from gray to white...

I hope that makes sense... cause if I read that back it probably won't make sense to me.. lol

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

The swamps look great, and overall the map is also great looking...

Digital art newb... I think not.

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

ROFL ..... that was good.... funnier after you read the post again ... and then look at cyphers pic of two hills on either side ... and stipple down below.....

abstact a bit...

I'm now working on forests and can't quite decide the style that would work best.

Here are a few options I have been playing with (variations with and without drop-shadows):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ContactSheet_001.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	4110

This needs to be reproducible in B&W for print in a book.

My favorite right now is tree10, but I would like other options...

Please post pointers or samples

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I'm now working on forests and can't quite decide the style that would work best.

Here are a few options I have been playing with (variations with and without drop-shadows):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ContactSheet_001.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	4110

This needs to be reproducible in B&W for print in a book.

My favorite right now is tree10, but I would like other options...

Please post pointers or samples

-Rob A>

I like 5, 6, and 7 (also 10). For hand drawn maps, I've always fancied individually drawn trees for forests, although it does take forever. 7 and 10 provide an interesting alternative that maintains some of that feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I like 5, 6, and 7 (also 10). For hand drawn maps, I've always fancied individually drawn trees for forests, although it does take forever. 7 and 10 provide an interesting alternative that maintains some of that feel.
    Trees like the style shown in the Fantasy Cartography video series? Or something else? I find the scale of hand drawn trees (though symbolic) jars with maps of this scale (for me) hence the search for alternatives.

After drawing all those mountains by hand, what's a few thousand trees

-Rob A>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast