Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Map for a Novel

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

I don't have time to give a picture by picture opinion but 1-4 don't work with that style of mountain as they are to flat looking... 5-6 look GREAT! However they should be smaller to better show scale with the mountains and... 7-11 are a really nice look for this type of map but I think that the ones in 9 are what you are looking for as far as matching the mountains... (Although not my favorite)

As I see it the main problem here is that the "shading" on the trees needs to look good with (match) the shading on the mountains or maybe just have less as in 7. I like the look of 8 & 11 the best but you would need to “lighten” the shading on the mountains to match... in my opinion.

I like how the map is coming along and I look forward to your next update!

-Chris
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Trees like the style shown in the Fantasy Cartography video series? Or something else? I find the scale of hand drawn trees (though symbolic) jars with maps of this scale (for me) hence the search for alternatives.

After drawing all those mountains by hand, what's a few thousand trees

-Rob A>
    Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to view those videos... But the ones you had in your sample looks spot on.

Chris-

Thanks for the comments. I agree that I am trying to find a complimentary style to the mountains. I was looking through my reference files and found I style I think works well.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	t2scaled.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	4112

Below the red line is the original style, I tried to mimic. Above is a less jittery version. It is this upper style I think I will be using.

-Rob A.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I like 5, 6, and 7 (also 10). For hand drawn maps, I've always fancied individually drawn trees for forests, although it does take forever. 7 and 10 provide an interesting alternative that maintains some of that feel.
    I have to agree with 5/6. This is actually one of the reasons I started playing with top down mountains technique as I personally feel that "most" color maps just don't look right with the orthogonal mountains, especially when everything else is top down. Anyway, if you don't go with 5 or 6, then I would choose 1 as in many cases, less is more... I don't like the shadows on 2 since nothing else has shadows(perhaps a hand drawn shadowy lines?) and I really could not tell the difference between 5/6 after a brief look.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

I Like 8 and 10... I would say 8 but for reproduction in a book/novel... it might now come out looking too good.... so 10 would be a much better choice for print.

I'd offer some suggestions on trees, but I don't think you need them... you got a winner with #10, I say go for it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Chris-

Thanks for the comments. I agree that I am trying to find a complimentary style to the mountains. I was looking through my reference files and found I style I think works well.

Name:	t2scaled.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	4112

Below the red line is the original style, I tried to mimic. Above is a less jittery version. It is this upper style I think I will be using.

-Rob A.
    Those trees look more like water or some watery type effects.... but if yer going for that type of style, add in some roughage... and ease up on the shading, not so far outside the tree line something like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	4115  

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected rpgmapmaker's Avatar

Well I was doing some tests to see what tree/mountain combos I like best... and while I still don't know I did make my own visual aid for the future...

I made it with color as I like coloring but after I saved it beyond "un-coloring" it I remembered that I would most likely post it here so I tried to remove the color to show an "in print" look. (it sort of worked)

anyway... for now this is my 2 cents for the tree debate

Name:	tree_tests2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	4117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tree_tests1.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	4118

-Chris
    @BHfuturist Check out my Video Tutorials & Vault of Free Map Elements
    Unless otherwise stated in the post, all of my artwork is released into the Public Domain.

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post

-Chris
    Yea... tree trunks.. got to have tree trunks... mmmmm good.....

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by rpgmapmaker View Post
    Well I was doing some tests to see what tree/mountain combos I like best... and while I still don't know I did make my own visual aid for the future...

I made it with color as I like coloring but after I saved it beyond "un-coloring" it I remembered that I would most likely post it here so I tried to remove the color to show an "in print" look. (it sort of worked)

-Chris
    Yeah, see, I like the bottom left. It's not to scale with the mountains, but it conveys a sense of a thick, forested area. The bottom right looks to me like the forest has thinned out. The top right looks too tightly packed. However, really any of these is a great option, and should like fine in print.

Thanks for everyone's help.

This is the last WIP I will be able to post here as the novel's author does not want the names of the countries and towns to be public until the book is published. The only thing I can give out is the watermarked name of the world - "Ascadia".

Again, thanks for the suggestions on the different forest styles. This is what the author is happiest with. (that will work well for a book print - a colourized version might be in the works...).

Also, credit to ComStar games, who's maps of Eldoria were a big inspiration for the various town and city symbols. I went with a lower vantage point perspective when I drew my buildings.

Still to do is adding the labels, a compass and a border then I'll be done. I'd estimate I have about 30+ hours into this drawing (...shows why I'm not an artist...) including moving a bunch of things around (because the draft map provided was wrong in a number of locations).

-Rob A>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	watermarked_working_9.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	743.4 KB 
ID:	4260  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast