Thread: Map for a Novel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Very nice Rob. I would rep you, but I just gave you some for your one of your Tutorials.

If you were not so far along on the mountains, I would say you should consider trying to force perspective by making the mountains in the foreground a bit larger. The river at the top flowing into the sea from the north already gives me the impression of a bit of perspective and would be even more so if a tiny bit broader at the ocean/sea. I might just have to take this map as a basis and give this idea a play. Probably won't come out right since I don't have a tablet, but what the heck...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow! nice, and that was a lot of mountains to draw! I like the way that you did the rivers.

I need to get a stylus.

Beautiful work.

The force perspective would be nice on this style of map, at least slightly with a maybe one of the rivers to run behind a peak of a mountain? Then again what do I know?

Thanks all. I could not have done this without the tutorial. It gave me the confidence to try something like this as I really feel my artistic ability is limited. The suggestion not to worry about "mistakes" and just work with them was a big help. That and keeping one hand on ctrl-z

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Looks great Rob... as for swamps ... I've always used a stipple effect ... heavy around the edges of the swamp and lighter towards the middle...

Thanks for the suggestion, del - any idea how to stipple with a tablet and graphic software? (Way easier to use a real pen, at least for me...the tablet just isn't fast enough, and keep trying to draw lined through close stipples.)

Here is where I am am. There is supposed to be a large marshy/swampy mixed with hills area north of the range. Not sure if I like this, but it is only my first go..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sized.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	3612

I might try printing this out and hand stippling with a pen on tracing paper then scanning it back in as a layer...

-Rob A>