Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Big Castle

What a wonderful project! Everything looks amazing so far, and it's so nice to see the various stages of development. Looking forward to the next update!

Thanks Neyjour - great to get such good feedback from a master mapmaker such as yourself.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have been away from this thread for a while but I am so glad this amazing project continues !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

After a LONG gap I have gone back and hit the walkways again. I made this rope bridge from scratch using a photograph of rope and some wood, but then discovered I could have just downloaded a supurb rope bridge from dundjinni; so I just tweaked mine a bit to look a little more like the dundjinni one (which is probably better anyway). Oh well. Here's the latest version of this map, along with the ropebridge object in case anyone is interested in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walkways.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	53191

I still need to fix the shadows on this map. And yes I know the cliff looks awful - leaving that until the end.

Name:	Rope Bridges.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	690.1 KB 
ID:	53192

The rope bridge is Excellent. But, I wonder if the shadow is to perfect, considering it is on treetops which would all be at different heights. Minor detail though, change it or not, it still looks good.

Fantastic job on that bridge!!! And thanks so much for providing the PNG. *snagged* What are your rules (terms of use) for it? Can it be used commercially? Non-commercial only? etc.

I agree with Bogie about the shadow. Maybe you could try applying a very slight wavy distortion to it (to simulate it falling on an uneven surface), and lowering the transparency a bit so it's not quite so dark? I'm thinking a lighter, more transparent shadow would work better for that height. As it is now, it looks like the shadow is falling on a surface that's much closer/shorter from the bridge than it should be.

I also noticed that your ropes don't quite reach their fixed points in some places, and the ends need to go under the turret roofs, but I'm sure you already aware of that!

Looking terrific so far! *thumbs up*

Yes I know about the shadows - I'll do that later. I think I need to show the interior of the centre-south turret first and maybe add a new bridge.

Neyjour - everything I upload here is non-commercial use only - I'll add something to that effect in the first post. If you want to use the ropebridge commercially just change the colour/other aspect significantly so it looks different enough and I won't mind, because it was a bit of a rush job and to be honest isn't really good enough for commercial use. When I bent the rope strands they separated into awful-looking sections.

Fixed up shadows but have realised in horror that I have deleted the parts of the ropebridges I wasn't using, meaning I need to start all over again if I want to do my internal map. Blast. I also made a mistake with how far the bridges extended to the middle tower. Oh well.

I fixed up the shadows - they should be all right now. Neyjour yes some of the ropes are supposed to be connected to the roofs.

Name:	Walkways.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	53258

PRETTY________(is that ten characters? )
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

That sux about the ropes, but at least the shadows look perfect!!!

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast