Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Castle

Good - let me know if you want any simple colour tweaks.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

wow, stunning work!, How did you do the Towerroof?

I didn't - its by Kegron done in 2004. I linked to his thread in post 26 - I just recoloured it.

However, considering my amazing discovery in post 25, I actually could easily make a circular tower roof from a photo of some slates. Maybe I will try it now.

EDIT: I tried it and it did not work. Oh well.
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 10-17-2012 at 06:43 PM.

I started to think about the keep maps and I realised I had made it a silly size - if I am aiming for 20x20 square encounter maps then a keep measuring 25x12 squares isn't going to work. So I have made the keep 19x19 squares which meant moving the chapel around the side and removing large parts of the wall and towers... Oh dear. I'm not happy with this layout (though at least is allows the creation of discrete 20x20 encounters). If anyone has any advice I'd be thrilled.

Also I really wish I had thought up a good name for this castle instead of 'Big Castle' because I have a feeling I will be stuck here for quite a while (I made a similar error of judgement when I started my own company last year; I just assumed it would fail and that the name would not really matter so I chose a really crap one and now I'm mortified every time I answer the phone).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Concept9.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	49185

Next on my list is to make the roof of the main keepa at 1900x1900 pixels. Here was a good one I found to try and copy.

Name:	keeproofeg.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	49191

First attempt: It looks awful but perhaps it's not quite as bad as I think - hard to tell with block colours. At least the size is correct finally. Not sure if my crudely-pasted photos of slate roofs will do here - I'll have to see after adding details and shading if the seams are visible. I think this roof will be all in the shading anyway.

I should also mention that I am TERRIBLE at drawing full stop, so that's not really an option.

Name:	Keep.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	1,013.5 KB 
ID:	49205

I added some shadowing and it looks a LOT better (note: the .png version is way too big to post here for some reason). The shadowing is still completely off, but I can start imagining this as a keep now. Only need to add some flagpoles and spikey bits along the ridge of the roof - must ask Bogie if he has flags.

I also need to add funny metallic-white bits that seem to always be on these sorts of roofs, and some windows.

Views:	265 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	49208

EDIT: completed the shadows and colours; I feel like the shadows cast by the NW tower are wrong but can't put my finger on it yet.

Views:	163 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	49211
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 10-19-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Looking good. I think your flag shadow might be a little too rounded at its base (The angles on your tower seem to be sharper).

The only other thing that's throwing me off a bit is the windows graphic in the south end of the keep. Its done really well, but it kind of distracts from the birds eye view that the rest of the image is going for (Personal preference...I've seen a lot of great maps on here that mix perspectives...so feel free to ignore.)
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Thanks anomieC; I removed the facade as per your advice. Not sure what you mean regarding the rounded shadow - I think a tower can have sharp edges from a top-down view but still curve in profile.

In any case, here is the latest version with added flags, some more shading and desaturation, the roof-top grille thing and some metal studs. I think its basically done now unless I add some roof windows to the front, which I should do really.

Views:	627 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	49216

Here are my first attempts at the courtyard (eastern half) encounter map - I hate it but I can't work out why. Everything about it looks awful. Hmmm.

Name:	Courtyard 1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	49218 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Courtyard 2.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	49219

EDIT: slight improvements but still don't like it - maybe its the shadow?

Name:	Courtyard 3.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	49220
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 10-20-2012 at 12:55 PM.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast