Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Castle

Thanks JT I'll narrow it up later.

But first, I have started on the chapel. For this map, I am making it a bit bigger than I anticipated and I am using the (reduced) floorplan of Siena Cathedral in Italy. This is still at conceptual stage - the black and white tiles each are 5 feet, so the entire chapel is 130 feet/40m long which seems quite big to me but perhaps is the right size (?) for a chapel rather than a cathedral.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cathderal.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	49572

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks good. I guess the size depends on the ruler of the castle. Is he (she) very religious? was the castle built for protection and as a way to boast of the rulers wealth and power? These kind of factors would determine how much space could be given to something like this. Now it's MY turn to get back to the internal views of my castle. Keep up the good work.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Worked on the columns a lot - pretty happy so far. I have a plan for the floor (might not work).

Name:	cathedral.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	924.6 KB 
ID:	49574

And here is my floor! Very happy with this now, except for the lighting which is awful and yes I know the columns are in the way of the lights and should be blocking them - all wrong. But just look at my floor! I really don't think I need anything else on this map at all - not even pews.

Name:	cathedralcOLOUR.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	49575

EDIT2: fixed an error:

Name:	cathedralcOLOUR.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	49576

edit3: I think I fixed the problem with the threshold also:

Name:	House.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	49577
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 11-02-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Blog Entries

wow that looks great. I wouldn't add any pews either and spoil that beautiful floor BTW the threshold looks spot on now too
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Cathedral Roof - Step 1 complete - this is the chapel roof before I add shadows and highlights. I have used googlemaps to fly over some cities and see what cathedral roofs are supposed to look like - something a little like this perhaps.

Name:	CathderalRoof.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	880.6 KB 
ID:	49615

Blog Entries

That looks very good. My only suggestion is that the shingles of the roof look "compressed" on one side and not on the other. The compressed side looks "out of scale"

Finished Maps

Thanks JT - I don't think it will show up in the finished version - the slate shingles are literally just photos of houses from the side cropped and squished into the roof to give it some texture. The lighting should take care of it. If it doesn't, then I'll have to go back and look at it again.

EDIT: Pretty much done. It's a bit weird but I don't really know anything about roofing so I'll just leave it be. Will probably need to work on shadows a wee bit.

Views:	172 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	49626
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 11-03-2012 at 07:55 PM.

Blog Entries

That looks good. Maybe the highlights are a bit bright. It almost makes the roof look round.

Finished Maps

Completed at last. Yes perhaps the highlights are too bright - I'll see how it looks on the finished map and I can tone them down at that stage.

Views:	139 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	49637

It might be better to go back to the original and then add less brightness. If you darken what you have now, you will lose detail in the shingles.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast