Thread: WIP: Duergar's forge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I am not quire sure about the aura surrounding the anvils, to be honest.

I agree - there are not right. They look like an aura rather than a reflection of the flames. Ditto for the weaponrack. The flame highlights should:
    -Be sharp only on the outside, and fuzzy on the inside of the object.
    -Cover c. 20% of the object.
    -Only affect the edges closest to the forges.
    -Be MUCH brighter.

Its hard to explain without the actual file of which to show you - perhaps have a look at ENC 28 Madness at Gardmore (follow link below) and look at the table with the ches-set. Do you see that the top right of it is much lighter and yellower than the bottom left? Ditto the rubble. That was done using the technique I outlined above: 1 dark overlay layer on the bottom left of the object (you skip this part, instead you need to delete the black covering half of the object); 1 white layer set to overlay on the top right 65% opacity; 1 bright orange layer set to 65% opacity on the top right (important! - not exactly the same as the white layer - otherwise you would see edges).

Ok I think I know what has gone wrong - you are drawing your light layers OUTSIDE of the object, which makes it look as if there is a lightsource coming up from underneath. They need to be INSIDE the object only. I think you got my instructions mixed up above - reversed the black/white or something. Or mixed up about Alpha to Selection? This was supposed to select everything EXCEPT the transparent bits.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    I am not quire sure about the aura surrounding the anvils, to be honest.

I agree - there are not right. They look like an aura rather than a reflection of the flames. Ditto for the weaponrack. The flame highlights should:
    -Be sharp only on the outside, and fuzzy on the inside of the object.
    -Cover c. 20% of the object.
    -Only affect the edges closest to the forges.
    -Be MUCH brighter.

Its hard to explain without the actual file of which to show you - perhaps have a look at ENC 28 Madness at Gardmore (follow link below) and look at the table with the ches-set. Do you see that the top right of it is much lighter and yellower than the bottom left? Ditto the rubble. That was done using the technique I outlined above: 1 dark overlay layer on the bottom left of the object (you skip this part, instead you need to delete the black covering half of the object); 1 white layer set to overlay on the top right 65% opacity; 1 bright orange layer set to 65% opacity on the top right (important! - not exactly the same as the white layer - otherwise you would see edges).

Ok I think I know what has gone wrong - you are drawing your light layers OUTSIDE of the object, which makes it look as if there is a lightsource coming up from underneath. They need to be INSIDE the object only. I think you got my instructions mixed up above - reversed the black/white or something. Or mixed up about Alpha to Selection? This was supposed to select everything EXCEPT the transparent bits.

Oh, ok, I struggled all evening before coming back to this thread and looking back at what you wrote... I then followed the link and looked at encounter 28... I see what you are talking about now, and I have a couple of idea as to how to do it...

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Ok, here is another version, with the side of the objects opposed to the fire darkened...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duergar Forge.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	49830