Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP using RobA's GIMP Tutorial

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Okay, so I tried to take Joe's suggestion and go back and redo the rivers a little (and add a little noise to the ground). I just fuzzed up the edges of the rivers with a soft brush, and thinned them out. I put a b&w gradient on a plasma noise and overlayed it over the ground layer to provide some additional noise on the ground cover. I also added an additional terrain label.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Practicing techniques 1-part3-rivers.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	4277

Then, I started in on the title. Here is the final output for that. I noticed that I couldn't follow RobA's instructions exactly because, given the order he used by applying the mask to the gradient/curve layer over the title label first and then distressing the edge of the title lable left some unusual artifacts along the edge of the title label. By removing the mask on the gradient curve layer, then alpha-to-selection on the new, distressed-edge title layer, and using that selection for the mask on the gradient curve cleaned up those artifacts.

Name:	Practicing techniques 1-part3-title.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	4278

Finally, the border. I didn't try to do a legend or compass rose.

Name:	Practicing techniques 1-part3-final.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	4279

And that's that. I think I've learned enough about GIMP to give it another go round and to be a little more adventurous in what I try next time round. I started the thread with a second set of coastlines begun using RobA's tutorial, so I'll see what I can do with that one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    I noticed that I couldn't follow RobA's instructions exactly because, given the order he used by applying the mask to the gradient/curve layer over the title label first and then distressing the edge of the title lable left some unusual artifacts along the edge of the title label. By removing the mask on the gradient curve layer, then alpha-to-selection on the new, distressed-edge title layer, and using that selection for the mask on the gradient curve cleaned up those artifacts.
    Thanks for catching that! I knew I had messed something up in my notes

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I love the color scheme, I hope you don't mind if I try to incorporate that into my work.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Thanks for catching that! I knew I had messed something up in my notes

-Rob A>
    No problem. Thank you for creating the tutorial in the first place! It helped me learn enough about GIMP to know what to do once I saw the error.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I love the color scheme, I hope you don't mind if I try to incorporate that into my work.
    I just used, primarily, the color scheme from RobA's GIMP tutorial, which I believe he borrowed from another tutorial on city-mapping. So, feel free, I think

I just used, primarily, the color scheme from RobA's GIMP tutorial, which I believe he borrowed from another tutorial on city-mapping. So, feel free, I think
    FYI, here is the city tutorial It works well in GIMP too. There a few extra posts in the thread on GIMP alternatives to Photoshop for some of the steps.

-Rob A>

NymTevlyn

Where's the tutorial to make forests like in this map?

Quote Originally Posted by NymTevlyn View Post
    Where's the tutorial to make forests like in this map?
    I followed the process detailed by DanChops starting in post 18 of this thread.

(It's a variant on RobA's original regional map tutorial that involves a few more layers for the forests and uses plasma clouds with a b/w gradient instead of solid noise clouds.)
    Last edited by Karro; 06-12-2008 at 01:44 PM.

NymTevlyn

I followed the process detailed by DanChops starting in post 18 of this thread.

(It's a variant on RobA's original regional map tutorial that involves a few more layers for the forests and uses plasma clouds with a b/w gradient instead of solid noise clouds.)
    I'm gonna have to download gimp to make these solid noise and plasma things. ;_;

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Same here Nym, I'm also looking into the way it does tubes, or whatever they're called, so I can get more randomness into my building's shapes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast