Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
When editing on older hardware, one tip that can work well is to do all your layer work on smallish sections (512x512), then flatten a copy and paste it into a single layered larger image for your final product. I'm not sure how GIMP handles its layers internally, but try this trick and see how it works for you.
Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
The other tip is to set your environment settings up correctly for your machine. I think the defaults are way too low.

I run on a AMD Turion64X2 with 2GB Ram. Here are my settings:

Tile Cache is the biggie, and set at 1/2 physical memory (but could go even higher depending on what else you do at the same time)

-Rob A>
Thanks for the pointers. My laptop isn't really all that old (it's a dual core pentium with, I think, 2 gig of RAM and a 512MB video card... but it's running Vista, so a lot of that gets sucked up by the OS; sadly the comp was a gift so I didn't have a choice in OSs), but it runs a little slow. I'll take a look at the environment settings today to try to make sure it's set up optimally.

I was thinking about cutting up the final product into chunks and see what I can do. It may not be easy, since the continents and island chains kind of make an interwoven mesh over much of the world map. I tried to make the continent placement look natural and organic.