Thread: WIP using RobA's GIMP Tutorial

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Yea, my first couple of attempts came out crappy also. This is one of the reasons I started playing around with some other ways to do mountain fields. Think I finally have something I like....

Try DanChops mini tut on this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2087 I really like the way this effect looks in the end. He needs to make a proper tutorial out of it.
    Yep, some of those look pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Select all your water (rivers and seas/oceans), create a layer mask (optional but recommended), run the bevel tool with 1-2 px. Make SURE you turn off the "make a copy" or whatever so you get it in the same layer. This will create that cut effect nicely. Then, apply the layer mask on whatever layers(forests, etc) and they all get cut out to make room for the river. Personally, I plan to play with adding ANOTHER forest layer with just a few small "bits" on top to cover the river in a few tiny places to better simulate real terrain.

Joe
    Thanks for pointing out DanChops' technique. I think I managed to make it work fairly well.

Now, stupid question time: how do you do this bevel. I looked and looked and looked, but the only reference I could find in GIMP to Bevel was in the "Filters>Decor" menu for "Add Bevel". That did not do what I was looking for.
    Last edited by Karro; 06-05-2008 at 10:08 AM. Reason: misplaced quote tags