• Bluffs Encounter - dorpond

15 22.73%
  • Magma Bridge - aegean

1 1.52%
  • Lost Vaults of L. Morrow - Vry

1 1.52%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: May Challenge Voting

I think the ideal situation would be to give everyone up to 3 votes but limit them to only 1 for any recipient. The abuse of the system would be to cast all 3 votes for your favourite. That can make for interesting voting because it gives a real bonus to the 2nd choice.

MANY of the entries deserve more appreciation.

Sigurd

We should keep in mind though, that it's the number of contestants (?right vocab?) which actually created the "difficulties". I guess we have a share of regular voters that look at the challenge, prolly don't participate, but still vote. The more contestants we get, the more spread out the votes will be, leading to - let me put it with "less satisfying results".

Too bad that the timeframe is already short (I mean, it's good, for it allows a regular challenge), otherwise I'd suggest two rounds of voting (or more, if really necessary) where you pick your favourite each time. It gives all those, whose former favourites FOOFed (Fell Out Of Favour), not quite the feeling that they had been totally wasting their vote. And other could also change their mind, I heard that happens.
    Downpoints: Takes too long for the challenge to remain a regular monthly challenge. I'd rather have something like a super tuesday, for the mapper's sakes. Also, Some might be prevented from participating in each vote, which doesn't sound fair.

Easiest solution: We need more - and I'd like spell that with a capital M - regular challenge voters, because in that case, the empirical statistics will... ehm... well, they work better the more people are around. :-)
    Two in harmony surpass one in perfection

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well ideally the forum members from rpgtonight should get a vote on this. I don't know how many of them came over here and joined up. Why not set up a poll on their site too and add the results together. After all, the competition was for the best VTT map for their application so they are definitely the best qualified to vote. It's probably too late to do this now, but might be interesting for future cross-site competitions.

Right now we are standing with 25 entries and 42 votes. Hard to get any sort of sane distribution with that.

Other option would be to allow 2 or three votes, ranked or not (though I don't know if the software does that).

Neon- Compression is voodoo. Seriously. Getting detail without noise is a real black art, and depends a lot on the software used. Look at the difference the gold standard (photoshop) even has between its "save as jpeg" and "save for web" results! You'd think the two would be the same, but they are not.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by meleeguy View Post
    Oh and one other crazy thought - what about a VTT/WiP forum? One of the reasons I took the plunge this month is the particular subject really interests me. I know I want to work more this kind of thing.
    This is an excellent idea, that I am behind 100% although we already have Building and Dungeon WIP forums which would work just fine. I would suggest that you use the tags at the bottom of the post screen to add VTT to any post that is specific for a VTT. That way they will still be easy to find. I'll talk it over with the other CLs and see if they think a forum dedicated to VTTs would be redundant or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    I think the ideal situation would be to give everyone up to 3 votes but limit them to only 1 for any recipient. The abuse of the system would be to cast all 3 votes for your favourite. That can make for interesting voting because it gives a real bonus to the 2nd choice.
    Not possible with the software. However, as I stated before we can make the poll multiselection which would allow you to vote on as many entries as you want, but only one vote for each.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    This is an excellent idea, that I am behind 100% although we already have Building and Dungeon WIP forums which would work just fine. I would suggest that you use the tags at the bottom of the post screen to add VTT to any post that is specific for a VTT. That way they will still be easy to find. I'll talk it over with the other CLs and see if they think a forum dedicated to VTTs would be redundant or not.
    Rather than a WIP forum, there could be a discussion forum regarding using maps in VTTs. Tips and tricks of using maps in the various VTTs etc.

Still not worthy.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Actually discussions regarding the specific VTTs should be handled on the respective VTT's website/forums. We are only concerned with cartography in a broad sense. While some VTTs have the ability to be used to create maps, that would be the extent of the discussion, IMO. For example, I could see someone creating a map in MapTool and then posting it here along with a tutorial of how to create them. Dorpond would actually be a person I would look to to demonstrate map making in MapTool. *hint* *hint*
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Sorry to side track the actual voting a little.

If categories are the best solution for the software then I think thats a good idea - though they complicate finding one 'winner'.

Picking the categories is a challenge. Perhaps by mappers experience, voluntarily and by previous awards?

Novice - anyone who chooses themselves for that category
    Member - anyone
    Veteran - anyone with a level of awards\achievement and people who want to compete 'against' them.

Of course this might be silly if we don't have the entries\interest to sustain the system. People could enter with a chosen designation and the category could emerge if we get 5 entries of that type - otherwise it might be categoryless.

Sigurd

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

I chose Vry's and apparently I'm the only one, I like it because it's Textures all have consistent Realism, and though the lighting is dark it's again very real. also a nice thing is that it works really well for an, albeit small one, Box Grid Surface which is the most common kind of grid. Now of course I have no expertise in Digital Maps, I prefer the only maps used in roleplay to be in world maps, and having no miniatures or anything like that, but thats just me.
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

The last two (3?) challenges have had significant responses. Prior to that there were only a small handful of entries. I don't know if is the growing member base, or the lure of prizes this month, but if the entry count stays at this level we might have to revisit the voting methodology.

-Rob A>

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast