Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kingdom of Varachan

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    From 2.4 it can use abr brush sets like these ones.

-Rob A>
    Wow. That's cool! I take it I just have to copy them into the brushes folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Wow. That's cool! I take it I just have to copy them into the brushes folder?
    Yep. Either into the local user profile brushes folder, or the main install brushes folder.

(On that note, I installed python-fu on my computer JUST to get the brush manager extension. It lets you dynamically activate and deactivate brush sets within gimp. I found that my 100's of grunge, tech and specialty brushes were starting to make it really hard to find the one I was looking for.)

-Rob A>

Guild Journeyer

So, first of all thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

You were right about the font, but I was trying to find a font that matches with the feeling and mood of the setting. I tried a new, hope it's not worse!

I also corrected the lighting problem of the city/town symbols and added some more mountains in the south.

Finally, I embedded the coat of arms of the kingdom in the upper right corner. I don't know if it fits, but I like it. Note that this is an old coat of arms, my skills have progressed but I hadn't time to make a new one.

That's all I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kingdom_of_varachan_2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	655.4 KB 
ID:	4148  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Yep. Either into the local user profile brushes folder, or the main install brushes folder.

(On that note, I installed python-fu on my computer JUST to get the brush manager extension. It lets you dynamically activate and deactivate brush sets within gimp. I found that my 100's of grunge, tech and specialty brushes were starting to make it really hard to find the one I was looking for.)

-Rob A>
    Cool. I need to look into how to get these various extensions and plugins. I realize that's where some of GIMPS full potential can be found, but I'm still playing with the basic download.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Somberlain View Post
    So, first of all thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

You were right about the font, but I was trying to find a font that matches with the feeling and mood of the setting. I tried a new, hope it's not worse!

I also corrected the lighting problem of the city/town symbols and added some more mountains in the south.

Finally, I embedded the coat of arms of the kingdom in the upper right corner. I don't know if it fits, but I like it. Note that this is an old coat of arms, my skills have progressed but I hadn't time to make a new one.

That's all I think.
    Hey, sorry for the threadjack, there. The map does look good. The new font, I think, is better and more in character. However, it still looks like there's a shadow issue. Note the shadow on the mountains is on the left, whereas the dark side of the city icons is on the right. These look like they're pre-designed icons, so you may not have the ability to change that.

My main thought on the map is how the terrain labels like "The Mountains of Fire" and "The Ashen Forest" are overlayed on a faded out section of the terrain. This doesn't seem terribly realistic to me, because on a hand-drawn and inked map, I don't think this would be possible.

To get a similar effect of a cartographer doing this by hand, you might try leaving a region of the terrain in question empty--blank and showing the parchment background, possibly with hatched edges for a border, and place the label in the emptied region.

I'd also see about trying to make the coat of arms a b&w image, again to match the feeling of the rest of the map. Other than that, it's great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12