Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sketchup Dungeon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Next time - maybe. Considering it took me an entire week to work out how to make a youtube account (who knew it could be so hard) and upload and then link a video, I'm pretty thrilled I even got this far.

Blog Entries

That's really cool! The 3D map itself was interesting, but the walkthrough video you posted was incredible. I think I have sketch-up on my other computer, I will have to go check it out now.

I experimented with this a few years ago, creating blocks (10'x10' section of hallway, floor, doors, archways) that I could assemble into a dungeon. Spent a few days on it, but wasn't fully satisfied with the results and haven't gone back to it. Had some issues with dimensions that I couldn't resolve at the time, but I was likely too hung up on using the grid.

I think the file is on my older computer; it doesn't seem to be on this one. I'll look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellisir View Post
    I experimented with this a few years ago, creating blocks (10'x10' section of hallway, floor, doors, archways) that I could assemble into a dungeon.
    Hmmm… that's a little like the workflow used in the Unity game engine. I wonder if it's possible to render a high-res image from there…? I must give that a try some day.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

So here's another of Dyson's dungeons but this time I added a second 'level' to incorporate the lower floor of his design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	River-Cave-01.png 
Views:	701 
Size:	465.0 KB 
ID:	52247

The map, The River Cave, incorporated the basic process of expanding the map into a third dimension but also adding in a "sub-floor" with chambers that were below the main level of the dungeon. Two floors, I would guess, would be a limit on how much you could do with Sketchup and actually be able to show it in the style of the "3-D Dungeon" that we've been developing on here. Any more than two and I think you'd loose the design.

Name:	River-Cave-04a.png 
Views:	448 
Size:	639.8 KB 
ID:	52248

Plotting out the various elevations was somewhat tricky so I had to experiment with things a little. In the above image (colors added with gimp) I started breaking down the map image by marking out the stairs so I could assume that each set of stairs was a drop in elevation (between 5 and 10 feet).

Name:	River-Cave-08a.png 
Views:	295 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	52249

Additionally with this map I decided not to build up and cut out the doors but rather leave them as part of the artist's original design (which I keep as the surface layer).

Name:	River-Cave-07.png 
Views:	1609 
Size:	602.2 KB 
ID:	52250

I've also attached the sketchup file to the post for those who want to see it and manipulate it and all that.

Enjoy!
    -GP

river-cave.zip

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123