Thread: Sketchup Dungeon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thank you so much. I have downloaded Sketchup 8 (the free version, not the PRO version) and tried to follow the tutorial. I have the following problems:

1) I did steps 1-4 successfully! But step 5 threw me. I was not pulling the image; instead I was pulling the base image which was below it. It had the same effect at the time.

2) When I try to draw on the map (step 6), it draws the lines between the map-drawing and the rectangular extruded shape below it. This means that I am drawing the lines, but they are not visible. I can only see my lines when I 'hide' my map.

3) So I finally drew some freehand lines around a room, but this took many attempts and I had to go back and fix some errors, so the lines (although they all connect) do not make a shape. When I select a line, it only selects that particular line. When I select all the lines that make my room, so I can push it down, it won't let me. How do I combine all these individual line segments into one constant line that can define a face and allow me to pull and push?

I've tried to look up my questions on google but I was unable to make any headway; perhaps because my sketchup vocabulary is all wrong.

EDIT: I tried again and had the same issues. One more thing I did wrong: in step 4 you specify 'Make sure the bottom left point of the image lines up with the intersection of the three axis lines. When this happens the dot will turn yellow.' My dot turns green but it never turns yellow. Is this the source of my problem?

EDIT2: WORKED IT OUT!!!!
    When you import your map (Step 4) make sure to click on 'Import as texture' on the right when you select the file. Otherwise it will import as an image, which you really don't want. This seems to fix most problems.
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 02-03-2013 at 08:01 AM.

Jack,

Can't wait to see what you did as your test project.

I am not sure why the dot didn't turn yellow for you. It's possible that I have an older version of Sketchup and it's just a weird little quirk between the two versions. Glad that you got that part figured out.

Thanks for the clarification on step 4. I'll edit the tutorial.

Glad it worked out for you.
    -GP

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Pilgrim View Post
    Jack,

Can't wait to see what you did as your test project.

I am not sure why the dot didn't turn yellow for you. It's possible that I have an older version of Sketchup and it's just a weird little quirk between the two versions. Glad that you got that part figured out.

Thanks for the clarification on step 4. I'll edit the tutorial.

Glad it worked out for you.
    -GP
    Ok I am finished - I 3D'd a map I had made a while ago of some catacombs. It worked really well I think. Now to work out how to make a cool video like you...

The dot did turn yellow once I had clicked 'import as texture' by the way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catacombs3d.jpg.png 
Views:	1003 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	51783

P.s.

I wonder if Dyson of the website where I found the two maps posts on here.

Anyone know?

-GP

P.s.

Anyone know?

-GP
    Yes, he is: View Profile: Dyson Logos - Cartographers' Guild
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

P.s.

Anyone know?

-GP
    I have an account here, but I don't post here anymore. Generally I stick to my blog, some posts to the Labyrinth Lord forums, the occasional promotional post on ENWorld and RPGnet and some chatter on G+.Just don't have the time ot spread myself over so many forums these days.

That said, I love this! I posted links to it in an article I posted yesterday to my blog. Great stuff!
    Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced