Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Initiating Procedure...

No, not at all Didn't mean to frighten you off or anything

Nice rivers. Good rivers. RobA happy.

(As a bit of explanation... We get many, many newcomers posting maps where rivers branch. So much that it became a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I gained a bit of a reputation as a sticker for improbable rivers, hence my self designation as "River Police".)

-Rob A>

Sorry but I just had to jump in when I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    They are all backward. Rivers merge as they flow down hill. They never (still waiting for a real world example) split and flow off in different directions. When they do split because of an obstruction, the rejoin as soon as the terrain lets them.
    I think there is such a thing as distributary rivers on Earth and a very famous case is Casiquiare [natural] canal linking the Orinoco and Amazon drainage basins. I concede it's not a common feature but it does exist. However this other case just blew my mind (figuratively speaking ).
    "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities, truth isn't."
    -- Samuel Langhorne Clemens a.k.a. Mark Twain. (1897) Following the Equator.

Thanks for wikipedia link. I think it confirms the point that this if by far the exception, rather than the norm, and tend to be a highly unstable configuration the doesn't last long (geologically speaking) if there is any significant water flow unless there is intervention.

I was unaware of the Casiquiare. Very interesting case!

-Rob A>

Wow, I didn't expect my map to spark this sort of discussion! Really cool, though, especially if you follow some of the links for North Two Oceans Creek. I've sometimes wondered if there was a place like that along the Great Divide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12