Well now that I've properly geeked out in another thread about using plate tectonics to start a world map, I thought perhaps a formal introduction is in order. :-)

I have never once considered myself as much of a map maker. In fact, all of my efforts up until about 2 days ago were just hand drawn, badly scaled world maps for D&D campaigns.

For going on 10 years now, I've been working on a story that I aspire to one day turn into a series of novels, and for 10 years, I've had the same dingy old world map that I drew on a piece of graph paper in high school. Well, between moves, I seem to have lost that map and I needed to start over.

However I am now much more of a scientist than I was 10 years ago, and my mindset is now to base as much of my fantasy world as I can on real, scientific fact. For example, my new world map project is based on plate tectonics, and one of my hominid races is based on a "what-if" evolution of an extinct hominid from 1.5 million years ago called paranthropus boisei. My magic system is even loosely based on computer science.

But enough of that. Two days ago I started trying to come up with a way I could draw my map on my computer. You see, when it comes to image editing, I really just know the basics.

This morning I was searching google for ways of turning my new world map sketch into a more detailed terrain map. Since I'm a Linux user, GIMP is the most accessible image software at my disposal, so I searched for "GIMP map drawing" and lo and behold, I am linked to the outstanding guide written by RobA. I immediately registered and have really enjoyed the reading. I've learned a lot already and it hasn't even been 24 hours.

So anyway, this seems like a great place. I think I'll stick around. And who knows? There might be a cartographer in me just waiting to be unleashed. :-)