Quote Originally Posted by mjortman View Post
As I said, in all honesty I fully expect this to be a private printing, just to play with my friends locally. Should it play well amongst them, I might consider taking it to GenCon (I'm local here in Indy, and have been going for about 5 years now), to have it playtested on a larger scale there. Should it do well there, I might try a KickStarter or to find a publisher. In the case of any of these more commercial uses, I would want to set up some kind agreement with the artist, whether that be giving me reproduction rights, or agreeing to some flat portion or percentage of each sale; I am very open in that regard to what is deemed fair by the artist and community here in general. I'm just not sure how this sort of thing is normally handled.
I don't know much about board games, but I can offer you some advice. Now is NOT the time in your game development to pay a professional artist to make these tiles. This is because there is a big difference between 16 good quality professional 10" tiles, and 16 cheapo ones. What you need right now are home-made development versions that you will be playtesting with only - not publishing. Undoubtedly you will be making many changes to your tiles during the playtesting process. Once you have the game rules and quantity of tiles finalised (in six months or whatever) and are ready to consider kickstarter, that's when you get three quotes from professional artists to do the tiles properly (my advice: contract them directly, don't just put up an advert here), pick the artist you like the best and add this figure to your needed development budget.

So right now, you just need some simple tiles that are playable, but will not be used for commercial purposes. This is the sort of thing that many people on this site will be thrilled to help you with - so long as you make clear that its not commercial, for development purposes only and just for you, your friends and some folks at Gencon. It would be a good exercise for someone new starting out at the guild.

Hope that's helpful.