Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking For Free Area Calc Software?!

Blog Entries

Ah well that sounds like a perfect solution. I knew there must be something about like that.

Welcome Wacko. Another lurker plucked from the far reaches of obscurity

Edit -- Actually, I gotta ask - why do people want to do this sort of thing anyway ? I don't think I have ever felt the need to know areas. I guess for gaming you might want an area of effect spell...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-17-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Wow-

I feel like a schmuck now. I answered in the other thread that the GIMP histogram has a Mean value display without noticing it also has a pixel count of the image (or current selection):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-06-17_182704.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	4414

Using the sample image in the other thread and selecting the white with the colour select tool and a 1 px feather gives 165557/(1024*1024)=15.78%

-Rob A>

Blog Entries

Argh - look at this - without even selecting it, if you stick your cursor on the histo for the whole image at the half way point ( 128 ) then it even reads it out for you as 15.8% OMG. So its ridiculously easy to get at it. So basically, read it off and multiply by the total area and thats the island area.

Thanks so much for the pointer to Paint.net. Its just the thing!

Edit -- Actually, I gotta ask - why do people want to do this sort of thing anyway ? I don't think I have ever felt the need to know areas. I guess for gaming you might want an area of effect spell...
    My take on the June contest has been to use the map data to generate more history\story. To that end, I've been trying to develop existing story threads and experiment with demographics and random generation.

Area calculation is not a common tool but it is a useful tool for a mapper - hence the request. GIS systems use it to count the percentage of various elements, say forest vs grassland, in a region.

Its not big in Fantasy maps cause its a little bookish but hey, I am trying to learn here. . And I could never justify the cost of some GIS systems that offer it out of the box.

Sigurd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	demographics00000.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	4419  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-17-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Argh - look at this - without even selecting it, if you stick your cursor on the histo for the whole image at the half way point ( 128 ) then it even reads it out for you as 15.8% OMG. So its ridiculously easy to get at it. So basically, read it off and multiply by the total area and thats the island area.
    Thanks redrobes! I tried it in gimp and it does too, except instead of clicking in the histogram you drag to select a range and it tells you the percentage (15.8 here as well).

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I can think of an application for my current Mapping Challenge entry, actually. I am currently wondering how much farmland I need to support my little village. Once I figure out how many people can be supported per square mile (probably around 80, given the terrain and available technology), I'll need to know what the area of my irregularly-shaped plots is so that I can determine how many more such plots I need to paint in.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Post Big thanks to wacko76!

The paint.net solution is damn near perfect. The easier it is the more useful it is - with due reverence to redrobes, we seem to have found a number of easy ways.

One of the really great opportunities of having a map to work from is discovering what really 'looks right'. I'm so used to having the idea first and the map second that this is a special challenge.

To me its central to the second level of the world building project.

Sigurd

Repping whacko76 for rushing in to save the day.

He has the highest percentage of solved problems per post on the entire board! (at least for now )
    Last edited by Sigurd; 06-17-2008 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wacko76 View Post
    Hi, I just registered now, specifically to answer.

Use Paint.NET. Open your file, use the selection tools to select the area you want to measure and at the bottom PAINT.NET tells you exactly how many square pixels you have selected. All you need now is to convert that to meters or whatever.

Sooo... now how about posting up some maps from Paint.NET? I downloaded it the other day just to play around, and some of the fairly easy things from GIMP I was not able to figure out how to do in it. I think it would be nice to see what kind of stuff can make out of it without to much work.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Sounds like a great idea. Paint.net looks like a nice interface and its very fast on my machine (low resources I think) It definitely compares to other free graphic packages.

Only problem is I'm content to let it be a one trick pony - I'll measure area in it and, at least initially, keep using my other software.

Sigurd.

Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the one trick pony .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast