Thread: Land of Islandir

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

I worked a little bit more on the rivers and various features of the land. I am thinking of resizing this realm to 500x500 or 400x400 miles. I am not sure yet, I have to check with some of my notes.

Anyway, the thing that bothers me the most are the solid, simple colors. I am thinking of adding some variations, but I don't know if I should do it a the end as an overall texture or something, or if I should do it for each of the color layers...Suggestions?

And I don't know about the tree trunks yet...I going to sleep over it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	islandir copy.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	609.1 KB 
ID:	4508  

Quote Originally Posted by The-Somberlain View Post
    I worked a little bit more on the rivers and various features of the land. I am thinking of resizing this realm to 500x500 or 400x400 miles. I am not sure yet, I have to check with some of my notes.

Anyway, the thing that bothers me the most are the solid, simple colors. I am thinking of adding some variations, but I don't know if I should do it a the end as an overall texture or something, or if I should do it for each of the color layers...Suggestions?

And I don't know about the tree trunks yet...I going to sleep over it!
    heh.. got to have tree trunks....

As for the solid simple colors, I think it looks fairly nice. If you want a bit more variety, one thing you could do is cross color on the mountain layer, ie, put some white on the dark side of the mountains and a bit of dark over on the light side. If you want it not quite as harsh, you can (should) use the smudge tool to smudge it up. I have played with this since reading a tutorial and love the technique.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just wanted to say...those trees rock.

Guild Journeyer

OK, here's another update!

I tweaked the coloring a little bit, added some details and some labels. I also tried to work on those rivers. It might be "too much" though. Also, tell me about the font.

I plan to add settlements, major roads, scale and maybe a small island complex in the southwest. Till then, I am open to suggestions...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	islandir_copy2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	810.7 KB 
ID:	4550  

Looking really good. To my mind, the coastline could use a wee bit more definition. If not a black line, then maybe a slightly darker green than that of the landmass. I really do like what you have done with the forests.