Thread: City of Fortune (reality check request)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Moved.

Also, I've attached a snap from googlemaps showing the terrain around the Mackenzie River in Canada at about the same scale as your map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008-06-20_184355.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	4506

This should give you a good idea of the shape a river and delta can have at this scale. The Mackenzie's delta is HUGE...over 100 miles across. I'd suspect this is because tremendous volumes of water came from the melting glaciers, carrying an large amount of material to the ocean.

With respect to the location (between two mountain ranges) remember to think in terms of watersheds. I'll reference the Mackenzie river again:
    (image from Wikipedia - I added the blue square which shows the location of the above map)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	4507

You can see that every rain drop that lands in this zone in this zone eventually flow into the river. The boundaries of the watershed are ridge lines that have one watershed one one side, and a different one on the other.

As stated by others, the geography would need some explaining... but at this scale, it is not impossible, though the two ranges should probably be further apart.

-Rob A>