Thread: [WIP] My first mapping attempt - small cave lair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Interesting map you have there Pineapple. The cave floor texture is quite unusual.

You have got to a great start on your water. I think now you need to darken your pools a bit and make it looks a bit more sinister and shadowy.

The only thing I have noticed is that your cavern wall edges are slightly pixelated (they are 'aliased'). The map would be improved by running a slightly gaussian blur (between 1 and 5 pixels, depending on the scale of your map) on the appropriate layer(s) or layer mask(s) to give the walls a more rounded natural look (anti-aliasing). Hope that makes sense.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    Interesting map you have there Pineapple. The cave floor texture is quite unusual.

You have got to a great start on your water. I think now you need to darken your pools a bit and make it looks a bit more sinister and shadowy.

The only thing I have noticed is that your cavern wall edges are slightly pixelated (they are 'aliased'). The map would be improved by running a slightly gaussian blur (between 1 and 5 pixels, depending on the scale of your map) on the appropriate layer(s) or layer mask(s) to give the walls a more rounded natural look (anti-aliasing). Hope that makes sense.
    Thanks for the input, I noticed that too. I know what you mean by aliasing.

I'm actually probably going to redo the map for the next iteration at 200-300px. I did a test run on our tabletop software and if you zoom in to get a close look at two or three characters in melee the image pixelates really quickly.

The cave floor is from a picture of an actual cave floor, naturally. I'm not sure I love the "real life photo" look - I'm still playing with it.