Thread: new dm, new cartographer, tons of problems

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Rybesh,
    You can download and run GIMP, Inkscape, and Blender in a portable version, i.e. one that you can utilize from a USB stick on any computer. Check out Portable Apps

The advantage of using portableapps.com vs just running a standalone portable version, is that the devs actually modify the save structure to keep it intact on the USB, and prevent any intrusion onto the host system. For graphics applications you're going to want a pretty sizable and fast USB stick, but it actually works great. You can also transfer all your brushes, scripts, etc, onto the stick in the appropriate folder.

I know it will work with Linux systems as well, but the caveat is that the host system needs WINE to run these windows based portable apps....there's no "portable" WINE solution.

While I'm speaking of Linux, you can also install Linux onto a USB or portable drive. If the computer is modern enough, you can just boot right from the USB (stick or drive) into the Linux environment, where you'll have a fully operating system "on the fly". GIMP, Blender, Inkscape, etc. Most people are scared of Linux, but it actually works very well with GIMP, etc...much better than my windows box.

A portable Linux solution is simple, but to someone not familiar with Linux, the installation can be hazardous to your host computer if you don't know what you're doing.
    Last edited by zukeprime; 06-15-2013 at 09:27 AM.