Quote Originally Posted by Invictys View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by a white/white overlay. Can you link me an example or better yet a tutorial?
I didn't mean to be so cryptic! Most people do lighting layers using 'overlay' layer blending - ie they draw white over light bits and black over dark bits and then set both layers to overlay. It helps provide a bit of shade and brightness and the contrast helps maps look better, for some tastes. I tend not to use overlay layers and instead use flat areas of black and white set at c. 40% opacity, which makes for much more extreme contrast and very bleached out looking maps. For example, see the first three maps in 'Orcus Conversion' link in my sig. The effect is most obvious perhaps in the second map (the blue one) where I have drawn large areas of white (at 40% opacity) over the map to represent sunlight and it bleaches out colours and makes detail look faded.

So what I meant was: have you considered adding differential lighting to your maps, either by using layers of black and white (or yellowish colours) set to overlay, or else not set to overlay'.